Chapter Twenty-Two

Start from the beginning

"My pleasure."

My cheeks were on fire.

He frowned innocently and took my hand in his.

"We should get going," I said, because Fin's hand in mine was making me crave more of his skin on mine. Because my mother's words left a light, warm feeling in my chest and stomach.

"Are you sure? You can spend the night."

"Maybe another time," I said, not knowing how to explain that I couldn't exactly go to bed without Fin right there beside me.

She smiled, grabbing my face in both hands. "I love you."

"Love you, too, Mom."

She kissed my forehead and let go, then hugged Fin.

"Goodnight."

"'Night."

We stepped outside and Fin let the door swing shut behind us.

We stood there for a few seconds. I stuffed my hands in my pockets.

"Let's go," Fin said softly, moving to take my hand in his.

I let him. "That went well."

He laughed, squeezing my hand. "That went really well. I love your mom."

I grinned. "I think she's obsessed with you."

He smiled. "I wish you could've met mine."

My chest clenched. "Fin, I...I wish I could meet her, too."

"I didn't know her much, her death doesn't upset me. It's just...a gaping hole. Like something's constantly missing in my life."

I stopped walking and he did the same. "I don't mind sharing."

Fin let out a choked laugh, something between a chuckle and a sob. "Thanks, Kaiden."

I grabbed the back of his neck and smiled. "You're welcome."

He bit his lip and I watched his eyes fall to my lips before he leaned in. He kissed me in that dark corridor, his hand still laced with mine while the other rested gently against my cheek. His thumb brushed against the corner of my lips as he pushed harder against me.

He walked me backwards towards a wall until my head softly bumped against the surface.

He pulled back. "Sorry."

I snorted and pulled him in again, kissing him until my lips felt bruised and his tongue movements grew sloppier.

"We...we should head back to your room," I whispered, Fin's lips on my neck distracting me from speech.

He moaned, his tongue sliding out to caress gently at my skin. "Do we have to?"

"We can continue when we get there," I said.

He took a step back. "Come on."

I suppressed a grin and he snaked an arm around my waist, my hips, lower. His hand pressed against the small of back and I wanted him.

I shivered and Fin tightened his hold, bending down to whisper in my ear.

"I need you."

My stomach flipped. "Fin."

"On my bed this time."

I nodded, legs feeling all jelly-like.

He whispered in my ear for the rest of the way to his dorm room, running his thumb back and forth against the skin on my hand, sending warmth to the pit of my stomach and even lower than that.