Chapter Fourteen

Beginne am Anfang

"You're not going to open your mouth?"

"To who?" Sydney asked. "Do I even have friends?"

"True." Lucy turned to her friend and whispered in her ear, "Boy."

Sydney pulled back and arched an eyebrow. "Who else knows?"

"My other ginger," Lucy said.

She nodded. "Not even the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge?"

"I wanted to keep it private, even if from Harry's family. I don't want rumors going around, and shit gets spread quickly within the monarchy. It only takes Kate and Will talking for a brief second in front of a maid for rumors to get out." Lucy paused. "No matter the confidentiality clause. If someone thinks it won't even be a problem, they'll say it. Media finds out."

"That would be bad?"

"I don't know why," Lucy admitted, "but it feels bad if everyone knows. I'm just trying to protect this kid and suddenly I can't."

"Ah, there we have it, ladies and gentlemen. Your biggest problem: trying to protect everyone." Sydney touched the arm of her friend. "We know how well that ended in the school."

Lucy didn't want to think of that day now; today was supposed to be happy. "I have to protect the baby; it's my kid. It's my job. But it's real now. This thing growing inside of me is real. I had to feed it and care for it. I have to do things with it. What do I do with a baby?"

Sydney sipped her champagne again. "You're not freaking out about being a parent, about having a kid. You've figured that out, Lucille. You've thought about it. You wouldn't have allowed yourself to get into this situation if you didn't know if you were ready. You are ready. You're going to be a great mom. Harry will be a... dad." Her eyes trailed the crowd. "And it doesn't matter if you two fuck up anyway. You have nannies for that shit."

Lucy laughed.

"But then I know why you're actually freaking out. I see the newspapers; I know the gossip. You signed up to be followed by the paparazzo, to have your life taken over by paparazzo. That wasn't an easy decision for you, but you chose yes. Harry said he would protect you; he would care for you. And he's said the same things about the baby, that he'll protect the baby. And you love Harry, but you have doubts about it." Sydney watched her friend. "You have doubts if he can protect the baby. You have doubts that anyone can protect the baby, that you can protect the baby. The paparazzi constantly follow you and they'll constantly follow your child. Then you have your own past to worry about, as if someone too will shoot your child. Harry can't protect you or the baby from everything."

Lucy swallowed. Her emotions ran wild nowadays. "I am thankful for something. When I got shot, my parents didn't have to see me in pain. That would've torn them apart. I don't want that pain. I don't want to...." She couldn't finished. "Happy thoughts-- happy thoughts." Lucy plastered a smile on her face.

"Lucy," Catherine called from across the room, waving her over.

"I'm being called." Lucy pushed away from the stand but turned back to her friend. "Are you staying for a while?"

Sydney shook her head no. "I have places to go, people to see."

"Where? Who?"

"Won't find out until I get there."

"Lucy," Catherine called again.

Lucy looked back at the Duchess of Cambridge and gave a friendly smile. Catherine was a lovely human being, but Lucy was too annoyed. She willed herself not to give the middle finger. Lucy turned back to her old friend, and then hugged her tightly. Sydney slowly snaked her arms around Lucy's plump body, careful of the baby bump.

"I'm happy you're leaving the house again," Lucy said.

Sydney swallowed. "Yeah," she agreed. "I didn't realize what it was like for you until I got shot too. It hurts a lot."

Lucy agreed. "Try not to put yourself in that situation anymore?"

"You first." Sydney pulled back and wiped her face with the back of her hand. "Go have fun. Go be royal. Go do something with a pretty dress. Go pretend to not be annoyed."

Giving one last look to her friend, Lucy joined Catherine across the room. Catherine had pulled a group of women together to play some baby game. Lucy smiled nicely at the women, but annoyance shone through her eyes. A few women patted Lucy's stomach, and she refused to bite off their heads. Lucy knew when she got back to Kensington Palace, she would've complained for at least an hour of how stupid the baby shower was; Harry would've just laughed. That left a terrible taste in her mouth.

Lucy glanced back at Sydney, who sat across the room. She wondered what had she done.