Chapter 23

I tried to imagine Morgan bashing in skulls, but the picture didn't compute. "Okay."

Aden shrugged, "It's true. And they fight just as dirty too."

Freckles stumbled out of the kitchen, a white dishrag shoved against his nose was already turning steadily crimson, "Who?" He sounded extremely plugged up. Tiny came behind him, holding a wash cloth to his lip.

"Malake," Amazon growled at them, "but you two can just go sit down on the couches now. No more fighting. I'm trying to enjoy a peaceful cup of tea here!"

Aden and I exchanged an amused look as Tiny and Freckles slouched over to the couches and sat down, shooting black looks at the woman as they went.

The chapel was a good place to think. It was quiet and out of the way, so I headed there, looking forward to some time away from the others.

One of the double doors to the chapel was open, and I slipped in and started down the aisle, my footsteps swallowed by the overpowering silence. Halfway down I stopped. A stifled sobbing was coming from the pews ahead. Someone was huddled in the corner of the front pew. I couldn't see her face, but I recognized the tangle of blonde curls that obscured her features. Morgan.

Already I was sweating. It's like some kind of reaction I get whenever a girl cries around me, the fierce, urgent need to make it better. I stayed where I was, fighting indecision. Should I leave as quietly as possible and hope she didn't hear me? Should I try to help? I didn't know what I was supposed to say. I crept closer, and Morgan suddenly looked up. "Lucas?" Her face was tear stained, her blue eyes shot with red. My hands curled into fists, "What's the matter? Are you okay?"

I lowered myself carefully onto the pew beside her, hesitant, wondering if I should just mind my own business. Morgan gave me a watery smile and shook her head. "Oh, Lucas. I...you wouldn't understand."

"Try me," I said, anxiously, leaning toward her. "What are you so upset about? Did someone do something to you? I'll kill them..." I trailed off, realizing how stupid I sounded. I was in a building full of immortal beings who could easily rip my head off without breaking a sweat. 

Okay, whoever they were, I would have harsh words with them.

Morgan was silent, staring straight ahead. Tears continued to fill her eyes. She rubbed at both cheeks with her sleeves. "I'm sorry. There's just no way I can tell you."

I stared at her, frustrated and helpless. I didn't want to press her, but I wasn't satisfied with her answer either. "Is there anything I can do?"

Morgan turned to face me, and in that second something in her face changed. A smooth transition took place, from sadness to nothing, as if some marble-like, unfeeling mask had slammed down. There was nothing in her voice that revealed sadness, or any hint she'd been crying. "It's fine. I'm fine."

I stared at her, baffled. "You're not fine. You're crying. Why?"

Morgan's lips compressed into a thin line, and she reached up and rubbed the back of her hand across her left cheek, then pulled it away and stared at it like it was someone else's hand. Disgust flashed across her face and then was gone abruptly. The complete lack of emotion in her face when she looked at me made my insides feel cold. "Thank you for your concern, Lucas. I'm quite alright, and now I would appreciate it if you left. I'd like to be alone for awhile."