I

"So, you're going to take notes for me, right?" Valerie rolled her eyes at the request, but nodded. She couldn't leave her best friend without a paddle, especially since Angela would surely fail Law and Justice if she didn't help.

"Of course I'll help you. What kind of monster do you think I am?" She smiled at Angela's over-exaggerated bows of gratitude. Valerie didn't mind taking extra notes, she was eager for class regardless. She had gotten her acceptance letter to Harvard Law in the mail that weekend, and couldn't wait to listen to the guest speaker: Jason Thatcher. Mr. Thatcher was one of the most renowned lawyers in the States, and was a town celebrity since he had been born and raised in Angel Grove. Valerie didn't know much about him, other than that he was a legal force to be reckoned with, and that he ranked Top Five on the list of Angel Grove's most eligible bachelors. 

As Angela and Valerie entered Ms. Travis's room, their playful smiles dropped, replaced by bemusement. Standing at the front of the room was the most handsome man either of them had ever seen. His suit was stretched taut across his chest and shoulders, signalling that he worked out often. His eyes were a light green, the color of jade, and his blond hair was tousled, as if he had ran a hand through it furiously and that was all. Everything else was precise- the way his shoes were polished, the way his tie was gracefully knotted in a double-Windsor. Valerie took her seat at the front of the class, and Jason stared into her eyes, locking her gaze. She couldn't tear away from his uncomfortable scrutiny; she felt exposed, as if he were looking straight through her. He pulled his eyes away as the bell rang, and coughed to clear his throat.

"Hello, my name is Jason Thatcher, and I'm a lawyer. However, I'm sure you all knew that." His eyes skimmed the room, but always seemed to land back on Valerie. "I'm actually a commercial attorney. Basically, I represent businesses in court. But I'm qualified for all lawyering." Valerie knew he was dumbing down his work- he had plenty of bragging rights, but probably didn't want to answer the slew of questions that were sure to follow if he flexed his knowledge and experience. For an hour he taught them how to analyze a case, using one he had just won as a model. Valerie watched him speak intently, blinded by her admiration for his work and how gorgeous he was. Pictures did no justice to the living thing, she settled. "Does anyone have any questions?" Valerie was broken from her thoughts by Angela's hand shooting up before her's even had a chance. He motioned to her.

"Yeah, you single?" The class giggled, and Ms. Travis shushed the students, a mean glare falling on Angela. Valerie blushed a crimson red, embarrassed that her best friend would even ask such an inappropriate question. 

"Yes, I am. I'm far too busy in my career to entertain much personal time. However, I will not accompany you to prom." The class replied with a unanimous ooooh, and even Valerie couldn't help but laugh. "Any more questions, that're related to the topic?" Valerie raised her hand, confident and calm, but inside, she was shaking. "Yes?"

"Um," her voice wavered, "I got accepted to Harvard. I was just curious as to what it's like, since it's your alma mater." Jason's eyes reflected what seemed to be amusement but before he could answer, the bell rang. Valerie gathered her notebook and wrote her's and Angela's names at the top of the notes sheet. She knew Ms. Travis would ask for the paper. Suddenly, Valerie noticed a pair of polished, Italian-leather shoes in front of her, and she was met with intimidating green eyes.

"Have you considered interning at a law firm? It would win you brownie points with Harvard, plus give you some real-world experience before you're forced to intern by them." His voice was sure, strong, and absolutely sexy. She could feel the confidence wafting off of him; he was straight-forward and unabashed.

Valerie chastised herself for her wandering thoughts. She gaped, unable to find her voice. His unnerving stare didn't make anything better, especially paired with his strong jaw and sensuous lips. "I, I've called around, but no one will give me the opportunity."

Jason's lips twitched into a small smile, and he handed her a small business card. "Call my office, tell them I offered you a position. They'll set up a date with you."

Valerie's eyes lit with excitement. "Oh my God, thank you!" She blushed, mortified by her outburst. "I mean, thank you, Mr. Thatcher. I promise you won't regret giving me this chance."

Jason's smile widened, and the jade orbs of his eyes glowed with a look Valerie didn't recognize. "Oh, I'm sure I won't regret it, Miss..." He extended an open hand towards her.

"DeMarco. Valerie DeMarco." She replied, taking his hand in her's. His handshake was firm, yet intimate.  She could smell his cologne, subtle and soft, rolling off of him and invading her senses. Valerie had never been weak in the knees from the sheer presence of someone, but the electricity passing between them was obtrusive.

As quick as she had gone to heaven, Valerie was ripped back to reality as Jason pulled his hand away, straightening his suit. "Miss DeMarco. An absolute pleasure." He flashed a smirk before walking out of the room.