One Past, One Mystery

Percy's POV

Percy's life was great. It had almost been a year since Gaea had been destroyed and it had been 6 months since Leo Valdez returned. Percy smirked at the memory; Leo had strutted right into camp with Calypso at his side. If he was awaiting a warm welcome, it was far from it. Needless to say, he woke up in the infirmary 3 hours later having been almost bludgeoned to death by Hazel who had shouted things like,

" LEO VALDEZ, BY THE GODS I SWEAR IF YOU EVEN TRY TO DO THAT AGAİN I WİLL PERSONALY DUMP YOU İNTO TO TARTARUS! " and " WHAT DİD YOU DO WRONG!? HMM... LET'S THİNK, YOU ALMOST DİED, LİED TO THE WHOLE CREW, DİD NOT TELL US WHAT YOU WERE UP TO, TRİCK US İNTO BELİVİNG THAT YOU WERE DEAD!"

It had been a very physical welcome.

Percy looked down to Annabeth, her honey blonde hair was sprawled around her as she lay on the dark grass, her stormy grey eyes were glazed as if in deep thought. He looked around, they were siting close to the training grounds gazing up at the night sky. It was dark but the stars shined brightly as ever. The stars... A painful memory hit him.

"say hello to the stars for me"

Bob, Damasen... A single tear rolled down his cheek. Yes, they had won the war but the price had been to high, many demigods had died, both Roman and Greek. He scooted closer to Annabeth, the need for comfort too overwhelming. Even if their lives were normal now, the memories of his two wars would haunt him to the end of Percy's days. Annabeth, being the wise girl she is picked up on Percy's emotions immediately. She sat up and hugged him tightly.

" Its over Percy, we are safe, our friends are safe. I don't expect you to forget, I know nobody can do that... But we have to try and accept."

I looked deep into Annabeth's grey eyes, once dazed, now sparkling with emotion. Sadness, grief, anger, pain... I hugged her back. I felt selfish, everyone had gone through terrible things, and I had just reminded Annabeth of them. I wrapped my arms around Annabeth.

" That's what I expected my wise girl to say"

They stayed like that for quite a while, until finally falling asleep under the stars.

Percy shot up at the sound of the conch being blown. Annabeth was right beside him.

"Three blows... ITS AN ATTACK!" shouted Annabeth fear evident in every syllable.

Percy had already shot up and was running towards the commotion at Thalia's pine tree.It was dark but Percy could still see what was going on. What he did see made his heart stop. Grover was unconscious being supported by a young teenage girl. Behind them... Oh gods, behind them was an empousa and it was only 5 feet away. Percy sprinted faster, running like he had never before. Suddenly the empousa put on a burst of speed closing the distance between itself Grover and the girl. Percy knew he wouldn't be able to make it. He looked at the scene and it felt like it was all going in slow motion. The empousa raised one of its claws and slashed out at Grover. Percy started to shout at Grover but before he could do so the girl threw herself between the monster and Grover. A scream echoed through the already bustling night. Percy watched as the girl fell on her knees clutching her shoulder that was spewing blood. The empousa hissed at her and prepared to strike again. Percy pushed himself further 20 feet, 18 feet, 15 feet... the empousa slashed her talons. This time, however, the talons did not meet their mark. Instead the talons clawed the air where the girl had been moments before . Percy's eyes widened. The girl, with absolutely no demigod training had dodged the strike so fast that she had left after images of herself. The empousa snarled and prepared to strike again but the girl ducked right underneath the empousa's legs sliding to the other side. The empousa, caught unprepared, clumsily turned around trying the catch her but she was too fast. Percy watched in awe as the girl ducked and dodged around the creature as if it was second nature nicking it with a steel dagger that had popped into her hand. Percy put on a last burst of speed and drew riptide. Throwing himself into the battle. The empousa, not expecting a surprise attack reacted a second too slow allowing Percy to lop her head clean of. The empousa screamed before bursting into a pile of golden monster dust.