I don't think James can help himself at the look on Snivellus' face. He bursts into laughter as he steps out into the corridor next to me and says, "Wow, how pathetic. I bet his own family can't stand him."

Before Snivellus can reply, Lily is bearing down on us, wand in hand and face livid with fury. I think we've struck a nerve. "That's enough! That's enough! All of you are horrible, no one deserves that! Leave him alone!" She's practically screaming. She's bound to attract any teachers hovering around nearby. "How would you feel if someone ruined your homework when you worked so hard on it? You should know better than to do stupid things like this—you should know better than to insult someone's family—you're no better than him! No—no better than a Death Eater!"

Stunned silence greets the end of her tirade. Personally, I didn't think she had it in her to yell like that. We must have really ticked her off. Still, I think Snivellus, of all people, does deserve the way he's treated. And some families deserve to be insulted—take mine. I hate my family. That's why I live with James' family.

Lily's lower lip is quivering. She turns furiously and storms away past Snivellus, who looks as stunned as we are, clutching his books to his chest. James hesitates, and then runs after her. He looks guilty. I think Lily's words struck a chord in him.

Snivellus stares for a second, then adopts his customary greasy sneer, brushing past us and walking quickly away. I exchange glances with Remus and Peter, who both look as if the sky has caved in. I feel quite the same. "She was awfully mad," Peter says quietly. Understatement of the year, if you ask me.

Remus glances out the window. There isn't much to see but the gray-white swirling past the windows; it's snowing something awful. But he looks exhausted. He murmurs dully, "We should get back to the tower."

- moony -

I'm tired, and I just want to go to sleep. I didn't sleep well last night, either. I'm not sure what's giving me such bad nightmares this month, but I hope it doesn't mean the change will be worse tomorrow night. I was dragging through classes on Friday, as the other Marauders didn't fail to notice, and today the only time I had any sort of energy was when we were playing that prank on Snape... but now I feel awful about that.

I climb through the portrait hole before Sirius. The common room's not very full, so it must be earlier than it seems. Most students are still at the library studying, or maybe even in the Great Hall for dinner. I think I'll skip dinner tonight. I haven't been very hungry, or else I've been nauseous. I've barely been able manage a meal a day.

Sirius climbs through behind me and puts a hand on my shoulder. "Dinner's soon, Moony, we can probably head on down." He glances around the common room, looking rather serious for once... I think Lily's lecture sobered all four of us, at least a little.

"I'm really not hungry," I reply half-heartedly. "I just want to go to sleep."

Sirius must have been checking the time, because now he says, "Remus, it's only five thirty in the evening. You haven't eaten much of anything today or yesterday. Maybe you should go see Madam Pomfrey."

I'm a little surprised by his concern. Usually Sirius is the last to suggest going to the Hospital Wing. But I shake my head and say, "It's just the full moon coming up. I'll be fine after that."

"If you say so," he replies, plopping down sideways in a plush armchair with his legs draped over one of the arms. He looks up at me and says, "Lily really blew up back there. I didn't know she could scream like that." He sounds cavalier, as if Lily's tantrum had only been a tad out of the ordinary, hardly remarkable. It annoys me.