Chapter 15~ Don't Leave Me

David and Danny tried to force me to go to school for the next few weeks, I refused. I kept pushing them away or screaming. I didn't even want to get out of bed anymore, I felt paralyzed. It wasn't until the middle of June that I dragged myself out of bed to answer the door since no one was home.

"Hold on a minute!" I yelled, surprised at how normal my voice sounded. I opened the door to find a giant teddy bear.

"What is that?" I asked, a smile tugging at my lips. The person holding the bear walked into the house and laid it against the loveseat. He leaned forward a kissed the smile right off of my lips.

"I thought he would cheer you up. Since I'm a beary nice guy, I figured I'd buy him for you." I frowned, glancing at the giant teddy bear, the back at Cole.

"That was a horrible pun." I said. He took my face between his fingers.

"But it made you smile and that's what matters." He kissed me again, pulling me against him.

"You just show up out of the blue and expect me to run back into your arms? Cole, you've ignored me for three months. Do you know how useless I felt, how alone?" I asked, looking up into his blue eyes. He sighed.

"I had a lot on my mind. I didn't want all of my depression to rub off on you. I know it was no excuse to ignore you, to not. . ."

"You're right, it wasn't." I snapped, cutting him off. His eyes grew dark.

"Do you want me to leave?" He growled. I didn't move or say a word. He flipped around and walked back toward the door.

"Don't leave me." I finally whimpered. He stopped in front of the door, his back tense.

"Say it again." He demanded, his voice cracking.

"Don't leave me, Cole. I need you." I repeated, biting my lip. He stalked back toward me and pushed me back against the wall, his lips crashing into mine. I wrapped my arms around his neck, my heart racing.

"I need you too." He whispered in my ear before lifting me up and carrying me back to my room.

*****

"Mitchie?" Cole breathed out, his finger still trailing my stomach. I lifted my head so I could look at him.

"Yeah?" I said just as quietly.

"My aunt was arrested yesterday." He whispered. I stared in shock.

"What? That's great, Cole. You. . . you aren't happy?" It came out as more of a question then a statement.

"I am. I. . . it's just tearing my family apart more then it already is. I know I'm no one to talk about family right now, I know your hurting more. . ."

"No, Cole. I want to hear what's going on in your life. I don't want you to keep everything bottled up." I replied, resting my head back on his bare chest.

"Come to Prom with me." He whispered, his face buried against my hair.

"I can't, Cole. I'm not going back there and getting humiliated all over again. I. . ."

"That's why you need to go back, Mitchie. Let them know that you're still strong, let them know that you aren't a weak little girl. What happened to my Mitchie? The girl that would bite someone's head off just for calling Regan fat? Or the girl that smiled and laughed even though she was dying inside, just so no one knew they were effecting her." I laughed bitterly.

"She's been gone for a while now, Cole."

"I want her back. I want you to go to prom with me. Please, Mitchie." He pleaded, pushing my head off his chest so he could look me in the eyes.