8

(Short-Lastish Chapter)
Chapter Eight
Sunday, November 22nd

Dream. It was all a dream. I wake up, heart racing. I see the grey walls of my bedroom and the fluffy blue comforter on top of me. I came home from school and took a nap. I never got that phone call. It all makes sense now. I close my eyes and fall backwards into the bed, covering my face with my eyes. I groan and roll over before deciding I need medicine.

I stand up and get out of bed, pulling up my sweatpants and brushing my fingers through my hair. With a yawn, I make my way down the steps, through the living room, and into the kitchen. I open the cabinet above the sink and look for Advil. Nope.

"Jess," I yell upstairs, "there's no Advil can I go get some?" I hear a faint yes and run upstairs to put on real pants. Once a have my hair up, jeans on, and sweatshirt in my hand, I'm ready to go. I grab my wallet and phone before I walk out the door.

There is a pharmacy down the street from where I live so I decide to walk. The cool breeze puts goosebumps on my currently exposed arms. I shiver but don't put on my sweatshirt. Finally, I reach the intersection just before the store. I press the button for the crosswalk and wait a minute or two before it tells me I can go. I begin to walk forward and over the crosswalk.

It isn't that dark, around 5 pm but the headlights are evident. It all happens too quickly. I'm in the middle of the crosswalk, no cars coming. Then, headlights. Pain. Darkness. My body flies forward, but the car keeps going. There is a pile of my blood lying beside me. Or at least I think so. I hear a scream but it is muffled. Dark spots blur my vision and I can't see. My head hurts. Then, everything is gone.