chapter 5

The cheers of excitement stopped. Everyone froze waiting to see if their wings would work and if they would avoid cracking their skulls open on the pavement. 

Their wings gave a powerful beat, and they rose up over the school and flew circles around the packed oval almost like they were racing. Their wings were breath taking. Alexis's wings were a dark golden-orange colour so that when she beat them they shimmered and they gave the illusion that they were on fire. Capricorn’s were pearly-silver and seemed to blend in with the clouds as he passed them. I don’t think the school knew what to do. We just stood in silent awe. And then we became so loud I thought my ear drums would explode. There were cheers, screams even requests for tricks. We were never silent, I screamed until my voice gave out. They rose up high, and then higher and higher until they were above the clouds.

For the first time in what had to be at lest 5 minuets, the voices were silent, with only a few murmurs rippling through us. Out of nowhere came a high pitched whistling sound. Like the one a firework makes as it shoots up into the sky. Except it was coming from the sky. They burst through the clouds only centimeters away from each other, spiraling downwards wings pulled in close to their bodies.  They stopped spinning just as I began to think something had gone wrong and they were out of control. As they faced each other I understood now what Alexis meant by "didn't involve cars" and I laughed. Taylor looked at me like I had lost my mind.

I looked around and saw that no one knew what was happening and they were all looking terrified for the crazy mother fuckers. I turned to Taylor to explain because he was still looking at me as if I’d gone insane, "they're playing chicken!" I had to shout over the noise they were making. However I think I may have shouted a little too loud because understanding spread across others faces as well as Taylor's. And I think some one on the other side of the oval had started to chant "chicken". An area of grass cleared where they were coming down and the entire school had joined the chant. But they just kept falling... 

Then, Capricorn threw his wings out halting his decent, the students booing him. Seconds later Alexis did the same skimming the top of the crowd blowing hair in all different directions. She lapped the oval and then chased Capricorn back into the clouds. We became silent yet again, but this time excitement seemed to be vibrating in the air making every one very jittery. It wasn’t long before we began to hear the strange firework noise again. This time the chant started low and increasing in volume until it hurt my ears but we kept screaming. They came into view, further apart and only Capricorn was spinning. They looked to be falling so fast that their skin should have been torn away by the wind.

They fell just a little further than the last time however this time is was Alexis who chickened out and pulled up first. Capricorn was not a gracious as Alexis and started showing off. Doing laps around the oval, loop-d-loops, giving high fives as he flew over our heads until Alexis had enough and chased him back into the clouds. We laughed as she hit his wings with hers causing him to wobble and swerve very ungracefully. The students could barely contain themselves as we waited for them to begin falling again.

the third time they fell, we were all shouting chicken but we were so excited that we were all out of time with each other. This fall was unlike the other two. This was much, much faster because they were flapping their wings forcing them down. They fell further than both other times, pushing themselves to the limit, daring the other to do better. Everyone stopped and held their breath. Looks of worry being passed around. Meters from the ground, Capricorn thrust his wings from his body. Any longer and her would have died. Half a second later, Alexis did the same. In half a second, and at that speed, you can fall pretty far. If she had extended her arms she could have touched the grass.

She struggled to gain her altitude again and as she did so, she narrowly missed people’s heads, sending their hair in all directions. For a second we stood in stunned, silent awe. Then erupted into a skull splitting roar. They landed on the roof of the building and Capricorn gave a bow and waved to his fans. Alexis just stretched her wings then folded them back into her body. Through all the screaming we managed to hear the bell and we all made our way to our classes after the Vellocets climbed back inside. everyone was jumpy and excited and could not stop talking about how close Alexis had come to the ground, or about how breath taking-ly beautiful Capricorns wings were, even the strange sounds they made as they fell was a popular topic.

"I am so glad we got everyone down here." Taylor whispered into my ear as he squeezed my hand.

"I know right? Wasn’t she amazing?" I whispered back to him. I could feel my face light up just thinking about it. No matter how I had felt about her lying to me I could never again deny how proud I was to be able to call her my best friend in the world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Short I know, but my computer died before I saved and this is mostly all I can remember from it. Sorry, next chapter will be longer though!

Revealyourself~~~