CHAPTER IX

Emma stood by the great oak door of the Earl of Carlisle's study. Sweat dribbled down her face while new droplets of it formed on her forhead. She tried to wipe as much with her already damp handkerchief. The earl had summoned her and Esther upon his return from Scotland. It was always like this. They had to report everything that happened during his absence. But today was queer, for he had never summoned them both at the same time and never expeditiously after his arrival. This made her nervous. What happened? Does he know something he's not supposed to? She wiped her face again.

"Esther!" She exclaimed as her hands reached out for Esther's who just arrived the scene.

'Let us go in.' She wrote.

"I'm afraid, dear Esther."

For comfort, Esther pressed Emma's trembling hand and gave her a reassuring smile before they entered the study. Lord Richard Carlisle sat cross-legged on a chair by his desk. The room was not well lit, making their shadows flicker on the floor and the walls in the darkness of the night. Emma's eyes grew ever so wide at the sight of a gun on his father's hand. He was cleaning its exterior with dry cloth. She looked with terrified eyes at Esther who casted her a worried one. What have they done this time?

"Late." The earl began. He laid the gun on the desk. "Three seasons now, Emma. When can I be finally rid of you?" He asked, looking at his daughter with the coldest of stares.

"I-I'm sorry, father-"

"Do not call me that!" His shout reverberated in the hearts of the girls that both of them jerked in fear. Esther held Emma's hand tighter in consolation, for the latter's trembled very much.

"My lord." She continued. "F-forgive me I-"

"Forgive?! I've let you live this long and for what? You took my Catherine's life when you were both born! No, she is not your mother. For you killed her! Killed her! If only you were not born!"

Gunpoint. Esther immediately stepped in front of her already sobbing sister.

"Ah the ever protective sister are we, Esther? Why don't we give yourself some balance and let one bullet penetrate your other shoulder? But you are a different matter. (He turned to Emma.) Entice the Duke of Devonshire on the day of the ball, Emma, or this bullet goes to your beloved sister."

"Yes, my lord! I will do as you say just spare Esther! I beg you!"

"Good. Now out with you! Your freak of a sister and I need to talk."

Emma casted a glance of solicitude upon her sister. Esther nodded at Emma in reassurance, but her dark brown orbs failed to hide the fear that she felt. And with another shout of "Out!" from Lord Carlisle, Emma left the premises but continued glancing back at her sister who still stood stiff with the gun pointed towards her.

A private ball was always very pleasant to attend, yet the Duke of Devonshire felt nothing agreeable about this specific one. Yes, he agreed to the invitation that was very kindly sent by the Earl of Carlisle himself. But that was before he realized Esther's value to him. She left him three days ago with a heart as confused as ever! Her face showed him evidence of her approval of him, that it is possible that she regards him deeply as well. But why the pendant? Who is this person she could not live behind? It most certainly would not be her horrible father, would it? What more is there to hide?

Cavendish, with these thoughts occupying him, ignored the excited whispers of women as he passed by. The duke shone everyone in the assembly down with his head held high, all-black attire, serious visage (which all the women found very attractive as his beard and mustache was not shaved clean), and arresting red hair. 'A very bodacious fellow indeed' as most would have it.

"Your Grace," started the enthusiastic voice that interrupted his saunter, "I see you have arrived at my abode. Welcome! I am Lord Richard Carlisle. (He shook the duke's hand.) And this (motioning his hands towards his side) is my daughter Miss Emma Carlisle."

Thunder an' turf! The duke could not help but widen his eyes at the extremely familiar sight. The woman is the exact copy of Esther! Although she had none of Esther's freckles nor her jolly countenance. And when her teeth finally shown itself to him in the form of a smile, he was disapponted. There was no gap-tooth. She is not Esther.

But he was determimed to unravel this mystery that surrounded his beloved, resulting in the reservation of Miss Carlisle's first two dance cards which her father did anything but oppose to. And when both were finally by the refreshments stand after the long exertion, he began his inquiry.

"Miss Carlisle," he began in a whisper, "I only would want to ask, if it is not so offensive to do so, if you know of a woman named Esther?"

Miss Carlisle's eyes widened in surprise, and she looked away. "I do not know of that name, Your Grace."

"Really now? If you were to see her, you would be utterly amazed by the great resemblance you have with each other." Miss Carlisle remained quiet, so he went on. "She has also mentioned a sister to me, you see, and I thought that maybe I already am graced by her presence right now."

She shot him a look that seemed like horror or culpableness. "I wonder where you had the pleasure of meeting a lady as such, Your Grace."

"In town we have first met. But I have been seeing a lot of her in the outskirts." Miss Carlisle looked slowly away from him in deep thought as if trying to figure something out. She knew something, and the duke was determimed to know whatever it is. He had to use every possible way.

"She has given me this pendant three days prior, and I've been wanting to talk to her since." He showed her the necklace that was hidden under his cravat, and at the sight of it Miss Carlisle looked shocked. She looked from him to the pendant.

"I-Im sorry, Your Grace. I do not know of such a woman." She turned her head away from him and was about to walk back to the ton, so the duke needed to think of something fast! He thought of Esther and his adventures with her. And a name came to his head-Philip, the rider from the outskirts. He remembered the man talking about a lady called Emma to Esther, that he loved her, and that she may have felt the same way. And betting on this card, he said thus;

"If you've ever loved anyone in the whole of your life, you'll know how it feels to may have lost one unfairly." She turned her head back towards him. Her dark brown orbs, again, culpable. The card was correct.

"Philip is his name, is it not? (Her eyes grew wider.) Please, Miss Carlisle, I need to talk to Esther. After giving me this pendant, she never came to our meeting place since three days ago. I truly miss her."

As if on que, Miss Carlisle went to his side once again. "We need to talk in private."

"Miss Carlisle, I have a reputation. If the ton sees you go out for privacy with me then you are as good as ruined. Say whatever it is you want to say right here."

"No, Your Grace. I care not for myself if it is for my beloved Esther's sake. And who is there to care for when one's heart is already lost to another."

And so the duke and Miss Carlisle separated themselves from the ton for a moment, or even longer, of privacy in the gardens where grave matters are to be divulged.