2:04

[ THE STAND: CHAPTER FOUR ]

MARSEILLES, FRANCE: 1002 AD

The Count De Martel was throwing one of his many celebrations, the entire court was gathered in the yard— music was being played on instruments nearby. Guests mingled by various stations, tables laden with fruit, bread and cheese— several women were kneeling nearby, watching with interest as Elijah, Ares and Tristan practice throwing axes at wooden circles propped up several metres away. The women clapped in amusement when they hit their target, Rhea however was bored out of her mind.

Until, a tap on her shoulder drove her attention away from the men, looking up, she saw Kol— his usual devilish grin upon his face.

"May I steal you for a moment, my lady?" He asked with a wink, they were never as formal as this when others weren't around, but they had to keep up pretences— after all, she was expected to marry Tristan soon, and although she had harboured some feelings for Tristan, the deep, pure feelings she felt for the vampire would always outweigh that.

"Of course you may." She said with a giggle, taking his outstretched hand and standing up— leaving the immediate area with him.

"Why must you marry Tristan, my love?" He asked once they were out of sight of the many guests, he didn't disconnect their hands, though.

"Kol, I am trying to delay it as much as possible— I have already charmed the Count into letting us stay here, if I done it again and he starts to show too much lenience, people may start to suspect things, he is after all, a cruel man. I'm also afraid he may become cruel with me should I not comply with his wishes soon." She said with a heavy sigh, there was a lot on her mind, too much for a woman of her age.

Kol stopped walking and came to stand in front of the brunette beauty, he placed his hands on either side of her delicate face, finding himself lost in her dark, enticing eyes.

"Run away with me." Rhea's mouth dropped open at the statement, she couldn't believe he was asking her to do such a thing.

"Kol, don't be absurd. You have your family and I can't leave my brother behind—" she started but he cut her off, sensing her distress.

"Forgive me, it was a foolish idea." Rhea didn't miss the way his shoulders slightly sagged, and his eyes seemed to lose a bit of their shine.

"What's going on in that beautiful mind of yours?" He questioned upon seeing her expression, she looked deeply troubled, something the vampire didn't like.

"Lucien told me the local villagers have been talking of demons among them, Kol, you need to be careful. I don't know what I'd do if anything were to happen to you." She confessed, herself and Kol were very aware of their deep feelings for one another and although they hadn't said the words yet— they loved each other in a way that neither of them knew they could love. It wasn't lust or desire, no, Rhea hadn't given herself to the vampire yet, it was pure, undeniable love.