But no. I was Valerie Blythe. With the ugly red sweater that was shedding, and my oldest, ugliest sneakers.

"Can't I just stay in the car the whole day?" I say, more to myself than to Dean.

"Sure."Dean says as he pulls the key out of the ignition and grabs his bag from the front seat, "At least you'll be hotter than you are now."

I scowl and hop out the car, keeping my head down as I scurry towards Macey.

"You know."she says, "Seeing your outfit in broad daylight makes me realize that this was a bad idea."I almost scream. "Thanks for warning me." I say in my most sarcastic voice ever.

***

Through out the day, people stop me to ask about the app, tell me that they love it or complain that they want to see who they're talking to. Actually, the most I get is an eyebrow raise and a long pause when they notice my outfit.

Not too bad.

I only see Cole in my final class, Math. He's late and slides into seat right in front of me. (It was the only seat available, but still). Macey nudges me like I haven't noticed the love of my life has walked in or that the class is brighter or that the birds are singing louder or that Math does't seem so boring anymore.

I stare at the back of Cole's head, at the little waves at the nape of his neck. Maybe he didn't have to see me. I could wait for him to leave class first and then run to the parking lot and pray Dean didn't have me waiting today, even though he always does.

Minus the last part, this could actually work. I look down at my Math book and for the first time for the whole day, I smile a real smile.

But Macey has other ideas. I catch her with her ruler o my desk trying to knock something over.

"What are you doing?" I mouth and she gives me a look that says, watch.

I watch. And before I know it Macey's perfect aim has thrown my glittery gel pen right at Cole's foot. This wasn't such a disaster until it hits me that Cole would have to turn around to give me my pen back. I glare at Macey, smooth down my wild curls and wait.

Cole looks down at my pen, picks it up and... doesn't give it back.

What?

I look at Macey to make sure she was seeing this. Her face says, unbelievable!

After class I tell Macey bye and leave the class early instead of my original plan. I shove my way through the mob of people in the hallway toward the parking lot.

I don't spot Dean's car right away. I'm looking around the parking lot for it when Cole just appears before me.

Cole hands me my gel pen."This is yours, right?"

"Yup." Think of something witty to say. Think of something witty to say! "Thanks." I say lamely.

"No problem." Cole shoves his hands into his pockets. Smiles. "See you later Valerie." Looks down. Walks away.

Well. It's not like I was expecting anything else. Sigh. I turn and continue looking. I finally spot it and  walk towards Dean's jewel of a car. It's a nice surprise to find him there already. I just want to go home.

Dean starts the engine when I get into the back seat. "Well? Did it work?"

I already know what he's talking about. I sigh. "Nope. Your plan was a fail."

"But you were talking!"

"He was just giving my pen back." I sigh again and rest my chin in my hands. "Take me home , Pinkette. Please."

But Dean doesn't leave like I want him to.

"This is ridiculous." He mutters. He presses his palm against the center of the steering wheel and toots so loud it rings in my ears.

Dean turns back in his seat and looks at me, "His name is Cole right?"

"Yeah." I say. Then, "Wait. What are you doing?"

"Hey Cole!" Dean yells. I try to reach forward and clamp my hand over Dean's mouth but it's too late. Cole walks towards the car and I silently thank God that the windows were tinted.

"Yeah?" Cole says.

I hold my breath.

There were a million things Dean could say to Cole right now. But only one would ruin my life, stop my heart and leave me to rot in embarrassment right there in his car.

"This girl, Valerie Blythe, has a massive crush on you, I mean, it's obvious, so take her out this Friday, yeah?"

OHMYGOD.

I'm mortified.

And then Dean does, like, the worst thing imaginable. First I feel the sun on my cheeks but it takes me a second to realize that Dean has rolled the window ALL THE WAY DOWN and that Cole was standing there, looking at me.

"Uh. Hi." I say looking at my thighs. I couldn't be confident and cute today. I mean, I was a mess.

Luckily, (or unluckily?) Cole finds it funny. "Friday?" he says, "I'll call you."

"Okay." I say. It's pathetic.

We exchange numbers and Dean rolls my window back up. I stare at Cole through the tinted glass as he makes his way towards his own car. When I tell Macey this story, she's going to be making a lot of these unbelievable! faces.

Dean runs one hand through his hair and keeps the other on the steering wheel as he turns out of the school parking lot. "Am I romantic or what?"

"Oh my God, Pinkette." Is all I say, breathless, stunned and... elated.