Destiny Keeps Getting In The Way- Chapter 11

Start from the beginning

"Yeah."

"Hmm, ok."

"Well talk to you later, bud."

"Laters." We hung up.

Not wasting anymore time I called a cab.

When I arrived at the restaurant I found out Peter had reserved me a table. I sat on a table for two.

"You look stunning." Peter's voice said.

I looked over and saw him in his chef uniform. I chuckled.

"Wow, that hat totally suits your personality." I laughed.

He pouts. "I think it makes me look hotter, do you agree?"

"I agree." I was still laughing.

"You're a meanie, did you know that?"

"I hear that from time to time."

"What will you be having tonight, ma'am?" He changed his tone to a serious one. "You have the most exquisite privilege of me having you to serve this evening." He bowed his head.

"Why thank you kind sir, I believe I will have Chicken with alfredo."

"Will that be all?" He asked.

I nodded.

"Yes, that would be all."

"Coming right up!" He smiled and left to the kitchen.

I looked around the restaurant. It was a busy one.

"Melinda, right?" I looked up at the sound of my name. It was Mackenzie.

"Yeah, hi." I said.

"What a coincidence that we find each other like this. Are you here with someone, too?"

"No, I'm by myself tonight."

She gave me a sympathetic smile that I knew was fake.

"Table is ready." Nathan's voice was like getting splashed with a bucket of cold water. He looked at me and his eyes widen. "This is... Peter's restaurant?" He put the pieces together fast.

I nodded.

"Oh."

It was too awkward.

"You two on a date?"

"Yes!"

"No."

Nathan answered no and Mackenzie yes. I felt a little bad for putting Nathan on the spot.

"Okay... have a good dinner then."

"I can explai--"

"No need, Nathan you're here on a date with Mackenzie. I'm sure you'll be very happy."

"Join us." Nathan said.

"What?" Mackenzie and I said at the same time.

"You're here alone, you shouldn't be. It doesn't look right when a lady eats alone."

"Um, no thank you. I don't want to be the third wheel."

"You heard her, Nathan." Mackenzie pulled his arm.

"She's not going to be alone." Peter saved me from something so awkward that I could kiss him. He sat down across from me. "She'll be with me. You can rest assure she'll be all right, Nathan."

Nathan glares at Peter and walks away with Mackenzie in his arm.

Peter puts his hand over mine.

"Are you okay?" I didn't move my hand.

"Yeah. What a liar. He told me he wasn't with her."

"Maybe he was trying to protect you. Spare your feelings."

His words were harsh, but I didn't think he knew that.

"I'm not a child. I don't need or want his fucking protection!" I hissed lowly.

[Nathan's Point of View]

I couldn't help but look over to Melinda and Peter. He had his hand over hers and she wasn't pulling back.

I promised this date to Mackenzie long ago. It didn't mean anything to me. I could care less about her, the one I wanted was with my ex-best mate.

Then I heard her laugh. It wasn't the kind where she was pretending to be laughing at something he said to get my attention, it was sincere.

"You really care about her don't you?" Mackenzie said.

I blinked and looked at her.

"She's an old friend."

"Ex-girlfriend, I can tell. I wasn't born yesterday, Nathan."

"We had something but now it seems broken."

"Then you should move on like she clearly has." Her leg goes up and down mine under the table.

I internally cringed and managed to smile.

Mackenzie went back to the menu and I took the chance to look at Melinda again. She was alone. Her eyes met mine and she didn't look away.

This was ridiculous. I should go over there and kiss her.

I know she still loves me, I can tell by the way we stare at each other. She loves me and I love her what else do we need to know?