the only way

The dream started the same as usual; I was alone in the dark with nothing, not even walls around me. In the distance there was a distorted face, the haze of electric green eyes teased me from a far, a blur of blonde hair flashed as the eyes turned away from me.

“STOP!” I called again; even though I knew she wouldn’t stop or turn to face me again I couldn’t restrain myself. Rain began to fall like it usually did at this point and she continued running the only difference was that I couldn’t hear her musical laughter this time.

“HEY! WAIT!” I called, the disappearance of her laughter had somehow made me feel uneasy this time; something had changed. Thunder boomed overhead and the rain actually started hurting, cutting into my skin. I screamed at myself to wake up, to stop the pain but nothing worked.

“NEMESIO!” a female voice cried out full of pain, no one other than me ever spoke during my dream. What was going on?? Suddenly the pain overcame my curiosity, no matter how hard I strained to see into the distance to get just a glimpse of her eyes or hair became too hard within this slicing rain.

“NEMESIO RUN!!” she called again.... and suddenly the scene changed. I was no longer standing in the darkness but was sitting in my car driving. Instinct told me to check were I was and instantly I recognised the road I was on lead to Dragomar mansion. My foot suddenly slammed down on the brake, or at least I wish it had but for some reason my dream refused to let me stop the car. Panic started to overcome me, no one went to Dragomar mansion the place was said to be haunted but I knew otherwise, my family had been the keepers of the Dragomar’s secret for generation and the idea of visiting the mansion – even within a dream – repulsed me. I was so wrapped up in my own thoughts that when the car finally responded to my emergency stop demand it wasn’t for the reason I had originally intended. My thoughts suddenly scattered from my brain I peered up through the window and saw a small figure standing in front of my car with a bewildered look of shock on their face. I stumbled out of the car saying something vaguely like “Oh my god I am so sorry, my mind was all over the place I don’t even know what I’m doing out here ....”  When my mind caught up with me and I remembered this was just a dream, “and now I’m just going mad” I finished.

“Be ready” the figure whispered and my body froze, that voice. I looked up to see those familiar green eyes and a face hidden behind a mess of blonde hair. I gaped at her in total shock as she reached her hand out to me, “Be ready Nemesio, everything’s about to change” she said but before her hand to finally touch me I was yanked out of my night world and back into reality by my stupid alarm clock. I woke covered in sweat and stunned by shock, she had finally spoken to me. I still didn’t get why the rain had hurt or why the scene had changed but she had finally spoken to me. A slight cocky smile crept into my face which was quickly replaced by a grimace as I tried to get out of bed. Looking down at my body I could see tiny scars where the rain had lashed at me in the dream. But that didn’t make sense, it was just a dream right? My stomach twisted when I remembered everything my family had taught me starting with the simple fact that dreams most defiantly could hurt you, even kill you.

“What the hell is going on” I muttered to myself.

“YO! NEMO GET A MOVE ON WILL YA!!” Balen’s, my brother, voice called up to me from downstairs. The urge to run downstairs and tell him what I had seen in my dream and what had happened to me in it was overpowering but then I remembered the girls’ eyes and the pain in her voice. Something about it pulled back the thought and realise, no matter what happened I wanted to deal with it on my own she intrigued me and I wanted to know more.

“COMING BALEN!” I called back determined to act normally while I was around other people, mainly my brothers and then think about last night when I get more time to myself.