Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen--
I clutched my chest as I painfully gasped for air. I leaned against the wall and tried to control myself. Tears had began to spill from my eyes, making my breathing harder. Nick was yelling at me because of an argument I started with him. He just looked past the attack I was having at the moment, his voice getting louder and louder.

"Stop yelling.....please...." I begged, my voice only at a whisper. He obviously didn't hear me, but simply kept going. I kept gasping for air, not able to speak.

"......why can't I have a say?! Huh?!" I knew that when he got angry, he kept on going till he got what he wanted.

"Stop. Stop." I covered my ears and closed my eyes tightly. I felt as though I was going to pass out. I usually didn't have panic attacks at home, but the way he was all up in my face and yelling, I couldn't handle it. I finally mustered up the courage to speak. He stopped, so I went.

"I'm scared, okay." I didn't speak above a whisper. I looked up at him, my tears blurring my vision. His gaze softened a bit.

"Scared of what?! You cannot constantly control me when there are other women around! You clearly don't trust me!" He roared at me. He was right, I wasn't sure if I did trust him.

"Maybe I don't. I'm scared that you'll run off with someone else again. I've been hurt some many times again, and I really don't want to be hurt again." My breathing was getting a bit better but tears kept coming.

"What happened to you? When we were first together you were so calm and collected. What happened to that Nick?" He knew I was right too. I could see it all over his face. He looked frozen in his tracks. Nick didn't answer me. I stood up, shaking, and started to walk to the door, grabbing the keys to my car.

"Don't leave. I'm sorry." I feel him grab my arm tight. I pull away from him, but he doesn't let go of me.

"Let go of me." I whispered, my voice rising. He didn't listen. My breathing became heavier and my throat felt tight.

"I said let go of me." This is the same Derek would do before he started to yell and hit me. I was afraid the same thing was about to happen. I yanked my arm away and stormed out of the house, shaking. I dropped the keys as I tried to unlock my car. I sank to the ground and pulled my knees to my chest, sobbing. This was one of our many reoccurring arguments over the past month. Of course, we'd make up. Only a minute later, it starts to rain, but I don't move. The water pours down my face along with my tears. I run a hand through my hair and cry out loudly. I bet Nick is pacing the kitchen floor, cooling himself down. He's most likely huffing and puffing.

"What are you doing out here?" Nick comes out of the house, and the rain has died down somewhat. By now, I was soaked, but I didn't really care. He leans down to help me up, but I turn away.

"Don't touch me." Memories of Derek abusing me, physically and mentally, overcome me. Nick looks shocked, but just stands there.

"Look, I'm sorry for barking at you. I am. Please, just come inside." He begs me. I stand up from the ground, feeling sticky from the rain. I get inside and try to wring out my clothes before going up to shower. I silently walk upstairs and take a nice, warm shower. After my shower, I put on a pair of yoga pants and a baggy sweatshirt. I comb out my hair and just let it fall down my back, choosing to not blow dry it. I put on my promise ring and looked at it. I mean, I did get upset over something small. I walked out of the bathroom and went down the stairs to see my boyfriend in the living room watching tv. I went into the kitchen and started to do the dishes, looking at the clock quick. Eliza gets out of school in five minutes.

"D*mnit." I curse at myself, grabbing the keys to my car. They're still soaked, and so I doubt the remote works anymore.

"Marni, where-" I didn't let Nick finished, but rushed to the car and sped to school.

"Yes sir. Thank you." The police officer let me off with a warning and let me get to my daughter's school. I got pulled over for speeding, and Eliza would be freaking out by now. When I pulled up to the brick building, Eliza was nowhere to be seen outside. I got out of the car and went into the school to see her sitting in a chair outside of the office. She sees me walking toward her and looks up at me, running to me. She had been crying.

"Mommy. I thought you forgot about me." She cried into my shoulder. I picked her up and rubbed her back while bringing her to the car.

"Never baby. Mommy would never ever forget you." I soothe in her ear as I put her in the car seat.

"Do you want to go out for dinner baby girl?" I needed to be away from Nick right now anyway. I had forgotten my phone at home, but that didn't matter.

"Yes!" I nodded my head and kept driving until I found the little diner that her and I go to every once in awhile. We eat in about an hour's time, then I took Eliza to the park. It was really relaxing to just sit on the park bench and watch all the kids playing. I remember one time, before my mother left, she took me to a park and I had the time of my life there. I watched as my little girl played with the other kids, and promised myself that she would never have to go through any of the hardships I did as a child.

"Time to go home honey." I went up to Eliza on the slide as the sun started to set.

"Okay mama." She smiles at me and slides down into my arms. We get in the car and drive home in the evening.

By the time we get home, it's almost 6:30. I enter the house and Eliza goes past me into the kitchen.

"Where's daddy?" She asks me and goes toward the steps.

"I'm not sure honey. I'll go see, wait here baby." I kiss her forehead and go upstairs to mine and Nick's bedroom. The door is closed and so I open it slowly and quietly, tiptoeing inside. Nick is laying on his side of the bed and sleeping, snoring softly. I gaze at him for a minute before going back out of the room and downstairs.

"It's time for you to go to bed princess." I say to Eliza, running my fingers through her soft hair. She pouts and crosses her arms.

"None of that. Come on." I urge her, following her upstairs. The dogs come behind us. I lead her into her bedroom and slide the shades closed. She climbs into bed after putting on her footie pajamas. I turn the night light on and tuck her in bed.

"Goodnight. I love you sweetie." I kiss her cheek and push her hair from her forehead.

"Goodnight mommy. I want daddy to tuck me in." She grabs my face and looks me right in the eye. I had to hold back a laugh because of how serious she looked.

"Daddy is sleeping. He's had a busy day." I tell her with a hint of disappointment in my voice.

"Okay. But he bettew take my to school tomorrow." I nod and warmly smile before leaving the room and closing the door. Sammy and Elvis follow me into my room, Elvis jumping on the bed, and Sammy curling up on the dog bed. I change simply into one of Nick's shirts instead of sleeping my sweatshirt and yoga pants. I climb in bed next to him, wrapping my arms around his bare torso.

"I'm so sorry baby." I whisper in his ear, not caring if he can hear or not. To my surprise, his eyes open and he side eyes me. I keep him in my embrace as Nick slips around to face me.

"I'm sorry too. I'm sorry for yelling and getting so out of hand." He puts a soft kiss on my lips.

"We gotta make this work honey. Promise me?" I ask, pressing my forehead to his. He takes my hand with my promise ring on it, holding it up to where I can see it. I roll my eyes and smile, kissing him once again.

"We'll make it work."