Chapter Six

Chapter Six--
I was so happy that I had a day off today. It was Friday, so Nick had our daughter until next Wednesday. I took some vacation days, and I was planning on having that time to myself. It was around 6:30 at night, and I was planning on going out with Kristen tonight actually. Ever since I had Eliza, I can't remember the last time I spent time with my best friend.

"Someone looks hot." Kristen whistles as she walks into my bedroom, wearing her skin tight, plunging neckline shirt and her mini skirt. I just smirk at her, straightening my own skirt that's a cream color. I wore a black, halter crop top with it, and silver stilettos. I didn't have very much makeup on. Only a little eyeliner, mascara, and lipgloss.

"You look pretty great yourself Kris." I comment, looking her up and down.

"You can totally get yourself a new guy with the way you look girly." Kristen always with those kind of 'compliments'. I rolled my eyes.

"I told you, I'm not exactly on a dating a new guy hunt. If someone came across me who was reasonably good looking with a good personality, it's a possibility."

"Jeez girl, always with all that personality, manners, all that crap with you. One night stands are much more fun." She flips her hair dramatically over her shoulder, smiling. I just roll my eyes and make a 'pft' noise, checking myself in the mirror one last time. Kristen and I walk out of my house, ready to party.

"Let's go get a drink." My best friend pulls me to the bar once we get inside the club. Once we're up to the counter, I see someone that I was not expecting to see here. My ex husband. What is he doing here when he's supposed to be watching our daughter? My eyes narrow and I spot him in the crowd, his familiar, charming smile catching my eye right away.

"I'll be right back." I tell Kristen sweetly, stalking over to him through the mass of people surrounding him.

"What are you doing here?" I shout over all the yelling and music. All of a sudden there are 'ooh's and 'ahhh's all throughout the crowd. I take the sleeve of Nick's jacket and pull him to a spot where we can talk.

"Again. What are you doing here and why are you not home with Eliza?" I say through gritted teeth, ready to blow up. This was not how I was planning to spend my night.

"She's with my mom, she'll be fine. I just came out to have some fun." Nick brushed it off like it was nothing. I'll admit, I loosened up knowing that my daughter was with Denise and not some other crazy babysitter that I had never met before.

"Are you going to be back home with her tonight?" I really was concerned. Nick folded his arms over his chest and leaned against the wall behind him. He was looking at me like 'really, Marni? You really don't think I'd be that responsible?' I gave him a dirty look then he replied.

"Yes I will. Now, ease up a little. If you really want, you can call my mom. But remember, it's my week to have her." He does have a point. What she does at his house is none of my business, and what she does at my house is none of his business.

"No I won't. Have fun Nick." I calmly say, turning on my heel and walking away toward Kristen. I see her through the crowd, talking up some guy. As I continue to her, somebody stops me.

"Hey you. Can I get your name sweetheart?" I turned to look at who stopped me, and he's not bad looking. His brown hair is tussled perfectly and his eyes are a deep shade of blue. There was some stubble on his face, but not much.

"What's in it for me?" I decide to play a game. I fully turn my body and cross my arms over my chest, smirking.

"The pleasure to meet my acquaintance, sugar." He had a bit of a cocky attitude, but he was cute. I glanced to the side, seeing Kristen twirling her hair on her finger flirtatiously. I looked back to see if Nick was in range to see me, and he wasn't.

"Alright. I'm Marni." I tell him, putting out my hand for him to shake it. He did and his grip was firm. He smiles at me.

"I'm Derek." His smiling melted me, and I wanted to run my fingers through his gorgeous hair. I wonder what it'd feel like to be in his arms......hmmmm.

"Can I buy you a drink Marni?" He asks, gesturing to the bar as he holds his own cocktail in his hand.

"Sure." I reply, smiling.

I'm not sure how the rest of the night went, because I started to get drink after Derek kept buying me drinks. I assume that it was fun though, from bits and pieces that I can recall. I do remember that Nick came over to us at some point, asking if I was okay and who Derek was, and all of that. I'm pretty sure I flipped him off at one point before putting my tongue down Derek's throat.

I woke up with a pounding headache, and I could really feel it once I lifted my head off the pillow. I looked around to see that I was in my own room, and in my own bed. I glanced to my side, seeing none other then Derek in bed with me. I gasped when I saw that he didn't have any clothes on. The blankets were up to his waist, but you could tell he wasn't wearing boxers. I was thankful when I saw that I was wearing at least a nightgown. I got off the bed and peeked out of my room, seeing no one else home.

"Morning." I hear his deep voice behind me, yawning. I turn around and close the door, smiling at him.

"Good morning." In one swift motion, I went back in bed, leaning my head on the headboard. Derek looked up at me, his blue eyes glistening. My mind was racing as he kept looking at me. My heart was about to beat out of my chest, but I was also confused.

"So....." I broke the silence and folded my hands on my lap.

"We're dating now. Aren't we? I mean we did sleep together." Derek replies coolly. I nod my head, but then rethink that.

"We don't know anything about each other."

"Well, we can learn. You first." He's all for it, leaning back on his elbows.

"Alright. I come from a broken family. My mother left when I was younger, and my dad is a complete wreck. I don't have any communication with any of my relatives whatsoever. When I was just out of high school, I started to date Nick Jonas," I paused to see what his reaction was, and he didn't do anything so I kept going," we dated for about two years and then he proposed, and the first time I said no. We broke up for about a month or two, and then got engaged. We married not long after, and it was a roller coaster marriage. It was fun, traveling with him and everything, but then he was off for some time. We tried for a baby and got our daughter, Eliza. She's four years old and the parenting schedule is that she goes back and forth every Wednesday after school. We got divorced when she was almost two, because Nick cheated on me." I stopped after that, taking in the memories that started to come back to me suddenly.

"Wow.....that is some story. Why on earth would he ever think of cheating on someone as gorgeous as you?" Derek says this so sweetly, and it makes me fall in love with him.

"He claimed that he loved us both so much, and didn't know who to choose. In the end, he chose her over me." I shrugged and felt tears sting at my eyes.

"I would never do such a thing." Derek sits up and kisses my cheek lightly. I smile warmly at him and then he starts to talk.

"Alrighty. My turn. My parents got divorced when I was around fifteen. It's all I've ever known, really. My dad moved out of the country to California and I never got to see him much. I lived with my mom in Maine until I was out of high school and ready to be on my own. I moved here to go to college, and I've been here every since I was nineteen. I'm now twenty four. Before you, I've only had two girlfriends." Derek presses his lips together. I take in all that information and then tell some other things about myself.

"Things about myself. My full name is Marni Lee Spruce. I am twenty four years old and my birthday is in February. My favorite movie is The Lion King. I also really like Tangled and Maleficent. My favorite color is gray and I hate reading. I'd rather go outside and jog or go to the gym. I'm a personal trainer at Muscle Builder, and I love it there. Eliza is my pride and joy. When I was with Nick, before we were married, I had a miscarriage. I was scared to try, but we did, and got a beautiful daughter out of it. I love that little girl to bits." After that, we kept telling each other things about ourselves. It was enjoyable and I really got to like him as a person.

"See ya later babe." Derek says to me when he leaves.

"Bye." I say. I shut the door behind him, feeling butterflies in my stomach. But this wasn't the same feeling that I got whenever Nick was around. That feeling was much, much stronger.