Chapter 3

New House

We all step out of the car and head towards the double-doors. The doors are huge with gold door handles.

I've never lived in a house this big before and I can already feel the excitement bubbling inside of me. I don't even know why I was so against us moving, this is great.

The place is located in a secluded area but privacy never killed anyone.

"What are you waiting for? Go check it out!" My dad yells. He's right, what am I waiting for?

"Race you to the door, Lyn!" Simon calls out. We both start running fast and he almost makes it but I touch the door just in time. I give Simon a complacent smile. He ignores me and runs inside the house.

When I enter I am greeted by a large, elegant staircase that is embellished with gold designs. There are two doors, one on the right and one on the left. These doors are just as elegant as the front double-doors. I wonder where they lead to.

The door on the left leads to the kitchen which is exceptionally gorgeous. The counters are made of black, polished marble. I know my mother is going to love spending her days in here.

The door on the right leads to the dining room. There is a large, rectangular glass table right in the centre and a cupboard in the corner filled with impeccable china. That's odd. My mother has never been interested in such things, she's always found it unnecessary to own expensive dishes that will only be used every once in a while. Maybe she changed her mind.

I run up the stairs to find myself a new room. I hope Simon hasn't wandered around this side of the house or else there will truly be war.

On the second floor there are about four rooms and one bathroom. I find the master bedroom and I decide to pick the room that is farthest away from where my parents will be sleeping because I know Simon will want this room.

I pick the room right at the end of the corridor that is near the bathroom. I will miss having an en suite bathroom but that's alright. This house is way bigger and better, it's worth the sacrifice.

I try to open the door but it's quite difficult to do so. I grab the door handle and I try to push but to no avail. I run back down to find my father so he can help me open it. It must be locked.

When my father tries to open the door it opens easily.

"Didn't you tell me the door must've been locked dear?" He asks.

"I did."

"Well maybe you just needed some assistance from a manly man," my father grins.

He's always taken so much pride for being helpful around the house. I guess that's because he enjoys feeling needed, probably a male thing.

I forget about my dad for a minute so I can look at my new room. The room I picked is absolutely perfect, it has a large window that looks over the whole back yard. I can't see much but it's a beautiful scenery. It truly is something I would enjoy seeing everyday when I wake up.

The room is empty and there are no curtains but I will decorate it myself afterwards. It isn't very big but it is still elegant like the rest of the house.

Out of the corner of my eye I notice something right at the corner of the wall. When I walk a little closer to it I notice that there is a small door. That's strange. I wasn't told that the house had little doors inside the rooms. Maybe my parents forgot to tell me about them.

Out of curiosity getting the best of me I decide to look closely at the small door. A small part of me warns me against it but I don't know any better. I mean it's just a door, probably doesn't lead to anywhere special.

I kneel down in front of the door and I try to open it-great. It's locked. Or stuck, I'm not sure which one is correct but it sure won't open.

I try to pull it again but it doesn't work. What is up with me and not being able to open doors?

It doesn't matter, I'll ask my father for the keys later on. I run down the stairs quickly to find my father.

I look everywhere but he can't be found so I decide to look for my mother so I may ask her where my father went.

I spend nearly twenty minutes searching the whole house for my mother, until it hits me. She's in the kitchen!

"Mom! Where's dad?" I ask her while grabbing a cube of cheese off of the counter. This usually annoys her but she doesn't notice my incriminating action.

"Your father left because of work but he'll be back soon," my mother replies.

"Oh." My father is always at work, it sucks that we don't get to spend as much time as we used to before. Since he got his new job he's been extremely busy. Even too busy for me.

"What did you need him for?" My mother asks.

"Nothing, never mind it." I reply.

"Go call your brother Simon, dinner is almost ready."

I start to head out when my mother calls out "And don't think I didn't see you take that cube of cheese!"

I silently giggle to myself.

It takes me ages to find Simon, it's so hard to manoeuvre myself around this house. It's just so big.

When I find Simon he is moving about around the second floor.

"Whatcha doing kiddo? You seem to be lost walking around like that."

Simon remains silent and pretends not to hear me. His back is facing me and he continues to move about.

"Well dinner is ready, mom told me I should call you so we can eat." I tell him.

He mumbles a response and continues doing what he's doing. I leave him to it and I go have dinner, hoping my father will be back soon.