VIII

"Am I completely insane to have come here?" Stevie asked nervously. 

He shook his head, taking another step closer to her. "No, of course not. I'm just... I'm surprised to see you again at all."

"I didn't know where else to go or who to turn to." She said, feeling like she was about to cry.

"So, you decided to fly to another continent, unable to be certain you'd find me?"

"Yeah." She replied with a glimpse of a smile across her lips.

"Come here." He opened his arms and she was more than glad to accept his embrace.

It was during the Unleashed tour, when Stevie met Dean. Fleetwood Mac were performing in Paris and he happened to be visiting the country. They were staying at the same hotel, meeting each other at the restaurant, where Stevie was enjoying a glass of wine by herself, having had yet another argument with Lindsey, and Dean approached her, asking if she liked some company. She wasn't very happy about being bothered, but he insisted, saying she appeared to be upset and he could listen, he didn't have to talk. 

Their glasses kept getting refilled, as they were talking to each other, the conversation flowing freely. Having poured her heart out, even maybe a little too much, she asked about him, genuinely interested. He told her about his move from the United States to Italy, trying for something different in his life, as things weren't really going for him before he decided to change his surroundings. He opened a small cafe, in the following years he had a chain of them. She thought it was a very ballsy move, dropping everything like that, but he explained that he didn't have a family; no kids, divorced not that long ago, so he didn't have anything to lose. 

It was uncharacteristic of her, but Stevie suggested going up to her room and Dean had no objections. They were both aware of where the night was leading to and it was just fine with both of them. They acted as if they just met (which was true) until they reached her room, but as soon as the door was shut, he kissed her and she responded eagerly. 

Since that night, Stevie and Dean had met several times more. She would inform him that she was going to be having a concert, solo or with a band, somewhere near and he'd be there. Even if they hadn't been around each other that much, she felt really close to him, for whatever reason. He was close to ten years younger than her, he was handsome and he made her feel like only Lindsey ever could. At one point, she thought, she was in love. 

"Let's go inside, what do you say?" Dean asked, taking Stevie's suitcase, as she gave him a small nod.

"I'm sorry that I came like this, unannounced. Only on the way here, I started wondering that maybe you found someone or you didn't want to see me anymore."

"You know both of those things are not true." He said, his arm around her shoulders. He opened the door to his home and pushed it, letting her go through first. "When I told you that you're always welcome here, that still stands." Putting her things aside, he pulled her into his arms again, seeing that something was definitely on her mind. "Do you want anything, before we sit down and you tell me what happened this time?"

Smiling weakly, Stevie took his hand, when he offered it to her, and followed him into the kitchen. "I'm actually starving. Besides that, I wouldn't say no to a drink either, something strong please."

"I wasn't expecting guests, so I only have some leftovers from dinner, will that be-"

"That will be okay." She cut him off, knowing he was going to ask that, as she sat down at the kitchen table. As they waited for the food to reheat, Stevie asked once more. "You sure you're fine with me here? Because I could stay at a hotel."

Closing the gap between them, Dean leaned in and softly captured her lips, the palm of his hand on her neck, as he then pulled back just a little. "I'm very happy to have you here." He then stood up straight again, going to take the plate, leaving her with her heartbeat quickened. He really had an effect on her.

"Should I go and set up a room for you?" Dean asked. 

"No."

"Alright." Smiling slightly, he added. "I'll go get your drink then."

They were silent, while Stevie ate, as he didn't want to push her to open up and it was enough for her right now that he was there. Once she was finished, he took the plate away and put in the sink, coming to her again, taking her by the hand again, he led them to the living room, where he already had a fire flickering in the fireplace. 

Sitting down, Stevie cuddled up close to Dean, as he wrapped an arm around her and gave her a glass of whiskey, then took the other one for himself. 

"It feels good to be near you again." She admitted, laying her head on his shoulder. "I've missed you, I'm sorry I couldn't see you during the last tour."

"It's okay. I never expect to get a call from you actually, but I'm always happy when I do."

"I was just a little too caught up with what was going on at the time. I... I found myself seeing Mick again." She started opening up, knowing he was going to listen and only offer his advice, never judge. "We weren't sure what was going to come out of it, but when we came home, he called, telling me his divorce was finalized and we became official for like a few weeks. Lindsey found out, got jealous and angry. He came to see me, we had a fight. He then asked to see Mick, told him a bunch of lies and when Mick returned from meeting with Lindsey, we started laying it all out, so to say. I was honest about the fact I wasn't really in love with him and he wanted me to be, so we kind of agreed it was over." She stopped to take sip from her glass. "I sent Lindsey a text, saying I wished I could hate him, naturally, he tried to talk to me, but..." She shrugged. "I couldn't. I didn't want to. I simply wanted to get away as far from him and the whole situation as possible. So, I came to you."

"Does he know where to find you?"

"No. Only my assistant knows, but I made her promise she wouldn't tell anyone."

"Good." Dean said, mindlessly playing with her hair. "You can stay with me for as long as you want, clear your head and decide on what you want for yourself next."

"I knew I was right by coming here." With her free hand, Stevie gripped his chin gently, then placed her palm on the side of his face, as they simultaneously drifted closer, pressing their lips together.