A Year To Forget

I hadn't had friends since 8th grade. All of freshman year I sat alone at lunch and didn't talk to anyone. Well, maybe not all of freshman year. You see, there was a girl in 8th grade that I sometimes saw in the hallways and at choir concerts. Her name was Alexis, and we didn't talk much but we still waved at each other occasionally. Anyways, we encountered one another at lunch on the third day of freshman year and we started sitting together. She had a friend, I think her name was Vanessa. I didn't talk, I just kind of sat there, listening to their conversation, almost always about a new game coming out called Destiny. There was another kid that sat at our table but I don't remember his name. He might have been more awkward than myself. We sat together everyday for about a month. One day she and her friend disappeared. A really nice girl came and asked me who I was sitting with. I lied and told her I was waiting for a few friends. I don't know why I did that. She seemed like she really cared. I started sitting alone and not caring for school. I was depressed deep inside but I didn't show it. I would stare at the projector with the announcements on it. They didn't apply to me. I just didn't want to be noticed. I was so shy and scared that the nice girl would come and ask me questions again. I ate my sandwich that I would get everyday and rushed to class. Scared to be noticed, scared to be recognized. I ate lunch in fear for the rest of the year, fear of the nice girl. Freshman year went by so slow, and I had a D and a C in Oklahoma History and English I. Why did I let my social life get in the way of my grades? Was it that bad? Maybe it was. I don't really know.

A Year To Forget