Chapter 1

“Vanessa, why can’t you not stop wearing those ugly sweat pants and baggy t-shirts of yours? They look horrible! ”, protested, Keisha, as she applied mascara to her beautiful eyes.

   “Because I like wearing them! And it saves my time from matching each dress with the perfect shoes and the perfect makeup. B.T.W just because I’m THE FAMOUS Keisha’s younger sister it doesn’t mean, I will turn into a popular cheerleader like her!’’ Replied Vanessa, as she changed into her comfortable outfit.

She was wearing a baggy loose t-shirt that said ‘Hamburger, Pizza, Ice-cream, and what else to it?’ and she wore a pair of blue extra-large sweatpants, with pink flip flops. She put on a bit of lip gloss on her pink lips and tied up her uncombed blonde hair into a messy bun. Perfect, she thought to herself.

    “But you’re supposed to look good, for high school! How else will guys like you? And don’t just say that I say this because I have a reputation in Wester High even after I graduated a year ago, I say it because I care. And don’t you love me lik...”

 SLAM!

 Vanessa growled and shut the door to the room she and her sister shared. She had heard the ‘I say this because, I care’ speech, a thousand times from her sister. It was their daily routine every morning. Vanessa didn’t care how she looked like. She didn’t put make up on because she didn’t care whether guys liked or her or not.

 As she went down the stairs, to the kitchen, she could smell the pancake her mother was making for breakfast.  She entered the kitchen and found her father sitting on one of the chairs, with a newspaper in his hand. And she saw that her mother was flipping a pancake onto a plate from the frying pan.

“Good Morning, sweetie!” Vanessa’s dad said looking over from the newspaper.

- “Morning Dad.”

“Breakfast is almost ready come take a seat, honey.” her mother said in a soothing tone.

“-Nah, I am already late for school. I think I’ll get something from the cafeteria.”  Vanessa came over to her mother and took the pancake from the plate and popped the whole thing into her mouth. She reached for her Converse bag and left for the door. Her dad started saying something but before she could listen, she was already gone.

She went out of the house and started walking for school with a frown on her face. Vanessa already knew how the day would be, so she really wasn’t looking forward to anything.

Nothing.

Nothing at all.

Except for the world to change so she could turn out different and actually have friends. So she could wear pretty clothes, and be noticed by someone. Anyone.

“ZACK JONATHAN RANDS! You come down this instance or I will ground you for your whole senior year!”

There was loud heavy steps on the stairs and after a while, there was, presented a handsome boy in American eagle boxers, that fit him right in every bit of his abdomen.  He had messy blonde hair that he tried fixing with his hand. And his face looked like he just woke up from the best night, a star quarterback could wish for.

“I’m here!  Now tell me what you want.” Zack replied as he stood grinning, in front of his mom, remembering last night.

“WHERE WERE YOU LAST NIGHT? You know you are not allowed to stay out after 12. And to add, it was a school night! How could you? You made me worry so much! How insensible of you!” Zach’s mother had to stop screaming because her throat had dried and she was frustrated. She knew Zack was a child who would stay out late, but this late? He came home at 6:30 in the morning when school was in an hour.

She was sobbing now and had tears rolling down her eyes. She quietly asked “Are you having drugs?”

Zack frantically started laughing and his dad, who was now part of the conversation, joined his son in the dilemma of laughing.

Zack’s mother looked up, and said “You think this is funny. And John you too, do you not care for our son.”

John and Zack both came over and hugged their frantic mother who was filling up with tears by now. “Mom”, Zack started “I know I’m not the best son but I certainly am not taking drugs, and as for last night, I was out with Samantha and then I fell asleep in the car. The moment I woke up, I realized it was already 6, and there was no battery on my phone to inform you. So I dropped Samantha and then by the time I came home I was too tired to notify you, so I just went to sleep.”

Tears had stopped coming from John’s wife’s eyes and she was now looking calm. She wiped her face and stood up straight and exclaimed, “Oh, I’m so sorry. How could I think of my son this way? Oh, how could I?” she paused for a while. ‘’Anyway as for last night, I forgive you. Next time remember to check your phone before you leave the house. And be home on time no matter what. Now move aside and let me go and prepare breakfast.” she ended with a stern voice as she left the room for the kitchen.

Zack’s father grinned and said “Nice excuse, buddy!”

Zack was smiling. Thinking of all the times he had escaped from his mother.

“Anyways how did last night go with Samantha” John whispered,” After the party?”

Zack walked up the stairs and stretched his arms up into the air almost touching the ceiling with his great height.

’’ You didn’t answer me?” John repeated looking confused.

 Zach turned around and yawned ‘’what do I say.” He grinned, “It was amazing, just amazing”. He had a smile on his face as he went up the stairs.