The Boy

I felt weird next to him at first, it just was. I mean, he was in the same room for the same reasons. And it made me curious about him.

I had opened a sandwich that the hospital had provided. It was a ham and turkey sandwich. I began to eat as he began to play with his iPhone. "Hey." I said 'hey' to him this time, I have the advantage. "Hey, my names joey. We got off to a weird start yesterday. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable." Dang it, he has a advantage now. He's apologizing to me. "No, no, no. I should apologize for being rude yesterday." He gave me a stare, a weird 'Your not going to win' stare.

"What!? What have I done to deserve your murderous look!?" He smile and chuckled. "You take things way to seriously." I was honestly pissed up to that point. "Now you look at me mister! You made me feel bad yesterday!" He rolled his eyes and grabbed his hat. "Look, I wasn't trying to okay. I'm on a limited supply of life and I'm just trying to make friends." He wasn't yelling, but I could tell by the change in his tone that he was serious.

I sat there in silence, I did something horrible. He was just being nice and I stabbed a boy that was already dying. I only had one question on my mind. "How long?" There was a long silence after that moment. It felt like it was ten years. Although I wished it was ten years. "Two months." A tear ran down my face, why! I couldn't control it, I felt like I just shortened a living beings time on earth.

I hugged him. I got out of my bed, waddled my way to him, and gave him a hug. He seemed confused at first, then he hugged me.

Two people with leukemia, in a world so big, yet so limited.