x. until dawn

BIOHAZARD,
chapter ten: until dawn!

5 hours until dawn.

          THAT TIME HAD BEEN INFERNAL FOR THE TWO MERCENARIES. Even Violet looked more tired than usual, leaving no other option for Avery to be the second driver of the vehicle. Both remained silent, letting the cold and snow get in their way. They went down through the gloom of the mountain, slowly and carefully, there they realized that the storm wouldn't stop all night and that - unfortunately - would be against them for the next five hours. Not only was it necessary to descend the mountain, but to cross the forest of the Lena River on foot, since with a snow vehicle it would be too risky and would end up attracting the unwanted attention of the Winter Soldier. That wasn't what Avery wanted at that moment. Dying was no longer one of his options, so he would do what was necessary to survive.

          In a way, he began to analyze its possibilities, the possible outcomes of the entire catastrophe created. What would have happened to the Birkin siblings if no one knew they were working for SHIELD, they would have fulfilled their mission, would they have killed him with a bullet, would they have lived long enough to be where they are now? Avery thought about that and thought of another possible outcome in which everyone left alive - but it was so obvious: the consequences go through something. Maybe Fury knew what would happen to them and still decided to use them as a sacrifice or maybe not. Avery didn't know what to think or believe at this point, whether it was really betrayal or an act of bravery. Americans would be able to do anything for their country, any citizen would do anything for their country. Avery, on the other hand, wouldn't do it. He was a traitor and has come to the point of betraying himself - to his principles.

          But he was a mercenary, a person willing to kill people who have done unforgivable things for money, a person loyal to himself. Well, loyal no longer existed in his head, his own loyalty was to kill that woman: Maria Stark. Violet stirred at his side, yawning with weariness while rubbing her eyes. Avery looked at her out of the corner of his eye and then, his eyes went to the snowy path.

          "What do you think, Muller?"

          Muller sighed. "Everything, Violet. That I should not accept this mission in the first place."

          Violet Quinn licked her lips and clicked her tongue. "You know, I'd say "I told you so," but it wouldn't do any good."

          "You are in time to say it."

          "I told you."

          Avery let out a laugh. "Shit, that makes me feel so much better. Spasibo, dorogusha (Thanks, sweetie)."