vi. lovely mess

BIOHAZARD,
chapter six: lovely mess!

37 hours left.

          THE SOUND OF THE ALARM RESONED EXPLOSIVELY IN THE BLOCK. The lights went on, tinting the room red. Avery and the rest of the team gave a start as they rose automatically. All the soldiers sat in their beds, putting on their uniforms clumsily, trying to show that they were awake enough to be able to take a gun in their hands - which really, they couldn't. Avery adjusted his shoelaces and discreetly kept the knife under his pillow. Jake frowned at the movement but didn't decide to comment on it. The two girls in the team put on a new shirt of the same color - while they were booed by a couple of soldiers who whistled at them in a shameless way. Violet turned and shouted an insult in Russian, silencing anyone who dared to say another comment out of place.

          All the soldiers got up and laid out their beds - like one of the many hygiene rules - to leave in the direction of the stairs. The team followed the rest of the cadets and recruits to a pavilion that was full of tables to form a single line, which would give them the first meal of the day. As the soldiers left the line with their food, they were located in different places, thus filling the pavilion completely. Avery sat next to his companions, at one of the tables at the end. Anika took a sip of her coffee - clearly, without sugar - while Jake and Violet looked at Avery intently.

          "What happened yesterday?" Jake asked. "What did the commander want?"

          Avery took a sip of coffee, feeling hot liquid running down his throat, burning his tongue a bit. The mercenary grimaced, trying not to be suspicious of the situation at hand. "The commander told me we'll have a mission and we'll do it with the soldier." Violet looked at the mercenary with an eyebrow. "Let me finish, asshole. He led me to an isolated pavilion where they keep the book."

          "Why would he do something like that?" Anika Birkin asked softly. "He doesn't even know you."

          "Apparently he's coming into trust with me," the mercenary replied, rolling his eyes. "I have seen where it is stored and I know one of the codes. It will be a piece of cake."

          Violet began to nod as she released a sarcastic comment. "Yes, of course. Whereas we're in a base full of soldiers who could kill us with a snap of fingers if they wanted to." He looked at Jake. "How many hours do we have left?"

          The elder Birkin glanced at his watch, showing the SHIELD logo and the number of hours, minutes and even seconds. His eyesight returned to the brunette, who looked at him with attention. "37 hours and counting the minutes that remain. I don't understand why Howard asked Fury to do this."

          Avery frowned. "Howard...?"

          "Howard Stark," Anika replied quietly. "One of the directors of SHIELD. He sent Fury."