Chapter 1

2 Years Later

"Can you slow down?" Zheth panted as she followed Nathale through the immaculate walls of the Star Destroyer.

The man barely glanced back at her as he responded. "I have a meeting, I won't be late because a child can't keep up."

"Why couldn't I have gone with Das?" She whined, wanting to be with the nicer of the two smugglers.

Nathale gave a sigh that sounded a bit like a growl. "Das is busy with a mission and can't have you messing anything up. Do you want her to be killed?"

"No..." She mumbled before slowing to a halt and glancing at the ventilation shaft.

Obviously she couldn't keep up with her adoptive father, so perhaps she could catch up by taking a short cut... if she didn't get stuck or lost. Zheth shrugged it off and gave a grin that would be the least of her worries if Nathale found out, which he obviously would and would also punish her for it. She pushed the thought aside and began making her way into the vent before going in the general direction her father was walking in, trying to stay silent as she worked to move forward, luckily she was still small enough to do this.

A few twists and wrong turns that nearly got her lost worried her but Zheth eventually heard Nathale's voice and made her way to the right room. Looking down from her position she could see him walking into the room while being flanked by who she took to be a commander with his uniform and important looking stance, and a tall man completely in black who breathed extremely loud with his helmet on... She would've laughed at that if he didn't give off a strange vibe that told her he wouldn't take kindly to it if he heard.

"You already failed us twice in getting the map. Why should we trust your teammate to infiltrate the Rebellion and get information on their next attack?" The commander-guy questioned.

Zheth saw Nathale tense slightly. "We've helped you get information before. Just because that map was a fake does not make us failures. It was a mistake on our part yes, but in the end it didn't matter."

"Didn't matter?" The robotic voice of the other man snarled. "Your failure set us back. We could have destroyed the Rebels by now."

Nathale stayed silent for a moment and she began to realize something could go very bad in an instant. "I realize that Lord Vader but if it wasn't us it would've been one of your other bounty hunters and smugglers. Das and I have done everything we could for you, without us you wouldn't have gotten half the ammo you did let alone finished those Death Stars without the parts we brought."

"Like you said, we could've used others." The commander responded.

The other man that her adoptive father had called Lord Vader glanced up. "We have a spy..."

Zheth shivered, how did he know she was up here? She backed away from the opening slightly just as a red blur tore through it, a moment later she found herself on the ground staring up at the three while slight pain radiated from the arm she'd landed on. There would probably be a bruise on it later... oh well. It was so worth it.

"Where were you?" Nathale growled and dragged her to her feet. "And why were you in the vent?"

Zheth cowered away but was saved from answering when the commander man spoke. "You know this... child?"

"Das made me keep her." The words stung but what he said next helped a bit. "She's quite useful at times... if I need a hand carrying something or fixing the ship."

"Why is she here?"

Zheth scowled and turned to him. "Because I can be."

"Zheth!" Nathale snapped at her. "This is not your place to speak, especially not after you decided to spy from the vents."

She glared at him and crossed her arms. "You told me to watch and learn. That's what I was doing!"

"Enough." Lord Vader spoke and she instantly stopped her arguing, still aware he held that glowing red weapon in his hand. If it had destroyed that vent so easily, she didn't want to know what it would do to her. "Make sure your partner gets the information, Grewood."

"Of course." Nathale responded, shoving her out of the room quickly as he followed. "We'll hand it over as soon as we get it."

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Zheth watched her adoptive father from a distance, the burn on her neck still scalding despite the ice she'd put on it. If anyone asked her if crawling through the vent had been worth it though, she'd still say yes. She saw him order another drink and scowled, if he'd been angry before, he'd certainly want to take it out now... probably on her. It was always on her but then again, she was always getting into trouble. Das would protect her but according to a hologram Nathale had received, she wouldn't be coming back... the mission had probably failed.

The door to the bar opened and she dropped the ice and backed into the shadows as she saw pilots wearing the Rebellion's symbol walk in and head straight for several members in the bar... including Nathale. She saw him shove them off as they tried arresting him and ran to his defense, fear coursing through her but it was overwhelmed with determination to try helping the last person she had to take care of her. Needless to say they caught her easily despite her attempts to fight back and she soon found herself dragged out into the open where an important looking figure was standing and waiting for all the people, mostly bounty hunters and smugglers who were known to serve the Empire.

"Das!" Zheth shouted out happily as she saw the Nautolan bound with others the Rebels had brought with them.

She managed to squirm free, though she was sure they let her, and ran over to Das. Her adoptive mother pulled her a bit closer in a half hug, which was all she could manage with the restraints. "This isn't over my little spirit. When I let you go, I want you to run to the ship and fly off... You know how right?"

"Yes." She frowned up at Das. "But why aren't you coming? Is Nathale?"

"You're better off without us." Das sighed, brushing against the new burn of the Madalorian symbol. "Especially Nathale. You didn't deserve that... He was always spiteful of you."

"I can't leave you though." Zheth responded stubbornly.

"You will. You would have to in the end anyway... when you were older." Das pushed her away and into the shadow. "Now go, on before someone sees you."

"But-"

"Don't look back." She lowered her head at the order before turning and running in the direction Nathale had left the ship.

Zheth heard blaster shots ring out behind her, a few at a time, which was followed by gaps of speaking. She didn't know what they were saying from her location but she did understand that she'd be the only one rounded up to escape. The fact she was free of Nathale's rage didn't make her feel better though, in fact, Zheth wished he was alive if Das wouldn't survive... at least she'd know there would be a place for her to live. Now she didn't know if she'd even find another meal, let alone fly the ship properly enough to get somewhere she could hide.

The ship was hard to control as she finally managed to get it off the ground. Her hands could barely reach the controls and still allow her to look out the window to actually see where she was flying. Lucky for her she could put it on autopilot and sit back, she knew it would take her to Jabba's Palace on Tatooine but at this moment a life of servitude under that man until she could go out on her own to provide income for the gangster once more was better than staying on her own to get killed in one way or another. 

It's May 4th so you know what that means! Star Wars' unofficial holiday! May the Force be with you all and I hope you enjoyed the update!