The Beginning

I will be straight with you. In the time that you are in now, the world was at the pinnacle of success. At the very cusp of progress and technological advancement. Everything was on upward momentum. Then came one mistake: greed. The lust for money no longer became the root of all evil, as one man pushed past that longing and moved on to another. The longing for power. To hold the world at his fingertips, the people merely specks of dirt beneath his feet. 

                                                        .........................................................................

Approximately 13 years after the Cleaning: The sun came down in blades of gold. It cut wounds of warmth on Remn's pale cheek, warming the freezing blood underneath. Thunder rumbled. This was what he grew up with. Volatile weather, the smell of concrete, the whispered whir of the bots and droids as they moved and performed their task- all this was his life; it was so full yet so empty.

Remn took  a deep breath.

"BACK TO WORK!"

The familiar yet unwelcome yell of Luna's master Korn filled his ears, followed by Luna's scream, a haunting and memory-jolting stimulus. Everyday he hears this, and everyday it kills him inside. One day, he will no longer be able to hold it in. One day he will break. Just not today.

Remn's blood boiled. Everyday was filled with the same rants. The same sick commands. He was tired of this. He was in this plush room, while Luna suffered the unenviably painful task of providing pleasure for all of Klaus' guests in any way possible. In any way possible. 

Klaus gave him everything-clothes, gadgets, toys, sustainance, but Remn could not bring himself so low as to give value to any of his gifts. Or so they were called.

Remn's sole purpose was to be the heir to Klaus' business empire. Klaus loved him, but he hated Luna. When he rescued them from the burning embers of their home thirteen years ago, Klaus had a spark of destiny. A dark sense of future. Remn was no ordinary child. Of course he wasn't, he came from an extraordinary people. 

Luna was blind. She lacked what most people called 'sight'. But what most people do not know is that only she possessed true Sight. She saw people's thoughts, motives, stories as plainly as an open book.

Remn clawed his desk. His nails raked jagged lines on the wooden surface. The walls around him were sound-proof. Anything he did could not be heard outside, and he could not hear anything that transpired outside. But he did.

That was the only gift he had that did not come from Klaus. The only gift that actually had value.

....................................................................................................................................................................................

 11:00 P.M. : Nighttime fell in shards of black. The moon hung over the earth like a ghostly orb. Remn waited for the telltale click of the lock of their building followed by the electronic buzz of the security bot. As soon as he knew the area was secure, he started toward the door.

Remn closed his eyes. He focused his mind on his center and waited on the pull on his gut. Soon, his room began to swirl slowly. His heartbeat slowed, and time stopped as Remn detatched himself from his current dimension.

His eyes snapped open. Now he was just where he wanted to be. He's performed this trick many times. Remn chuckled to himself as he remembered his first attempt to create a Warp, which is a pocket of empty space between parallel dimensions. A secret region between this world and others.