She had no idea why a king might want to see her, but was too tired to speculate. So she entered the main hall not knowing what to expect.

She fiddled nervously with the woven bracelet her mother had given her as she looked around the room. The Lord and lady were sat in their throne and Sigyn gave them a quick curtsy before turning to look at the king.

He was a tall man, nobility seemed to be built into him. His clothes were not particularly fine but something about his baring made him look like a king. His hair was the same jet black as Sigyn's but cut short and made messy by wind. He wore no crown and had a fairly relaxed cheerful smile. He looked Sigyn up and down curiously and without waiting for the Jotun lords to introduce her he walked over to her and took her hand gently.

"You told me she was just five when her mother died. Don't tell me she has been working since then." He said with a slight frown.

The lord looked nervous, Sigyn had never seen him afraid before. "Well you know most people would have cast her out to starve, really we looked after her. And she is the daughter of a servant it only seemed right to put her to work. We didn't know. And she likes top work, don't you Sigyn?" Said the lord quickly.

Sigyn nodded dutifully. It was a lie but Sigyn saw it as her place to agree and she was nervous of speaking in front of this strange king who had the power to scare the Jotun lord.

There was a sudden sharp caw from the hall's rafters. Sigyn started and looked up, surprised, to see two ravens were sat in the beams of the roof. Sigyn stared at them wondering if they were pets of the king. The king too watched the raven and gave a small nod. "True you did not cast her out but you have hardly treated her with kindness." Pointed out the king sternly.

He turned back to Sigyn and looked her squarely in the eyes. "Tell me child, do you know who your father was?" He asked in a gentle voice. Sigyn shook her head mutely. "Have you heard of Bor?" He asked. Again Sigyn shook her head. "He was a great man, and I am his son, the king of Asgard. I am Odin. Have you heard of me?" Sigyn nodded, her eyes wide.

The other servants had spoken of Asgard often. They spoke of how well the servants were looked after and what a great and bountiful land it was. A small hope fluttered in Sigyn's chest for the first time in years. If her father was one of the people of Asgard they might ask her to be a servant there.

It was common enough for illegitimate children to be taken care of as well looked after servants. Perhaps her father had heard of her plight and had sent the king of Asgard himself to take her away. Her heart soared at the idea of having family still. Family that cared for her even. It was more than she had even dared dream of.

"I am sorry to tell you this, but your father is dead." Said the king in a gentle voice. Sigyn's hopes shatter in an instant. She felt an echo of the pain she had felt when she lost her mother. She had never known her father but knowing she now never could was a blow.

Seeing her pain Odin felt a rare pang of sympathy. On an impulse he hugged the small startled girl tightly. "I am alone." Whispered Sigyn in a faint voice.