21 - Dinner With A Side Of Fear

Zacznij od początku

"Thank you Justin. You know you don't have to right?"

"I do," I said, then stepped out onto the back porch.

I started the barbecue and laid the burgers out on the grill, listening to the satisfying sound of the meat sizzling.

I looked around and was happy to see that they kept different kinds of seasonings in a little compartment beside the gas.

I pulled out a few and sprinkled them over the meat the way my mother had taught me. Soon, the smell of cooking burgers drifted in the evening air.

I heard the back door slide open and then shut again, but I didn't look away from the patty I was trying to flip.

"Oh my god!" I heard Avery's voice, "That smells absolutely amazing!"

I blushed at his comment, "Thank you."

I set down my tools and laid a slice of cheese on top of each one, then turned to face him.

"How did you learn to cook?" I asked, leaning against the house with his hands in his pockets.

"My mom taught me," I replied.

"Well she did a good job. I can tell, and I haven't tasted it yet," he complimented, bringing another blush to my face.

"It's just something I like to do," I explained, "And thank you."

He smiled.

"Actually could you do me a favour?" I requested.

"Of course."

"Would you please go and get a plate so we can carry these inside? They're just about done."

Nodding, he pushed himself off the wall and sauntered inside to collect the required item.

I started moving the burgers into one spot and when he returned, I transferred them to the plate.

At dinner the main topic was my cooking. The McIntyres all loved the burgers and kept exclaiming over how delicious they were.

I was a little embarrassed, but proud as well. It felt like a small tribute to my mom, even if it was just cheese burgers.

When dinner was finished I tried to help clean up, but Liz caught me and shooed me out of the kitchen, smiling and telling me I had done enough already.

I admitted defeat and crossed the room to where Avery was sitting with his dad and sister.

The former looked at me and patted the seat beside him, beckoning me over. I sat and curled against his side, surprising him somewhat, but not in an unpleasant way. I was content with the knowledge that my actions were a comfortable, friendly gesture, rather than an intimate one.

I surveyed the scene. Billy had just been showing Carly some of the pictures he had taken on his last trip for work.

"What do you do, Billy?" I asked as he put his camera away.

"I'm a wildlife photographer," he replied, "I travel all around the world and take pictures of different animals and plants to help scientists further their research. I also document when and where I found the specimen, and, where I can, what it is."

"Sounds amazing," I said wistfully, "What kind of material do you cover?"

"Lots of different categories; new, endangered, unusual, rare," he explained, "Would you like to see some pictures?"

My eyes lit up, "Yes please, this sounds so interesting."

Billy chuckled at my enthusiasm and stood. He connected his camera to the TV and sat down in front of it.