The Masked Truth - Chapter 3

The Masked Truth

© All Rights Reserved – 2011

3.

Mary Margret Anderson, you've really done it this time! She paced her bedroom floor. The entire drive home at two in the morning she wondered what he meant by his statement. Did he know that she was his mate? Or did he see her drop her shield momentarily?

As soon as she got home she briefly got distracted by her father crawling around the floor mumbling about Henry. He often talked as if Henry was still here, having conversations with him and apologizing for not being there for him. But being used to this behavior she quickly helped him to bed where he instantly fell into a drunken stupor or he blacked out. At this moment, Madge really didn't care which.

Sean's statement had been plaguing her for the last two hours and every time she tried to sit down and settle down it felt as if the walls were closing in on her. She needed out, her wolf needed out. They both longed to run, to forget her humanly troubles behind them. For once Madge couldn't agree more with her wolf.

Not bothering to be quiet she walked out of her room and through the house to the back door of the house which she threw open the door stepping out into the inky black night. Stopping momentarily to listen out for her father, who's snores could probably be heard a half mile away, she shut the door and down the steps to the overgrown grass.

The inner wolf wanted to burst forth, but Madge urged her to hold on as to not rip her clothes to shreds. The last thing she could afford at the moment was another uniform. Quickly slipping off the blue skirt and apron, Madge moved her fingers swiftly over the buttons on her top, then with delay removed the last of her under garments. That was all her wolf need, the second her entire bare body was exposed to the night she erupted forth.

Fur sprouted from every pore, her bones popped and snapped as they reformed. Though the transformation only took seconds it felt much longer as Madge fell to the ground her hand and feet morphing into heavy paws with sharpen claws.

The moon was hidden behind a cloud but the darkness wasn't a problem any longer. Shaking her fur loose, Madge started at a trot pace around the back yard. Luckily the town was only inhabited by wolves or family of wolves, it made her midnight trots much easier to pull off.

But like before her wolf began to get restless again, she wanted speed, to stretch her legs and push her body to the brink. Glancing over her shoulder, Madge fought the internal battle whether to stay or go.

Dad is drunk and asleep, I doubt he is going anywhere anytime soon. She reasoned with herself before she grinned internally at herself and shot off like a bullet from a gun. Maine had some dense wooded areas and plentiful wildlife. She leaped over fallen trees and small brooks as she pushed forward farther and farther until the smell of deer near by stopped her in her tracks. Her empty stomach once again growled to announce it's distaste. Normally she didn't care for her dinner on the hoof, but tonight was different, she really didn't have a choice. Luckily for Madge, her wolf didn't leave her to debate for long and she stalked the largest buck she could find waiting for the right moment.

Then she struck. In seconds her jaw clutched the big beast now laying lifeless. The warm, metallic liquid seeped into her mouth only causing her stomach to growl louder at the chance to eat. Once the carcass was safely out of sight, Madge tore into it enjoying the feeling of power that surged through her as she gave in to her primal need of hunting and running.

Eating her fill, Madge then licked her paws clean and walked back towards her house stopping at a brook to drink and wash off more properly. With all four paws in the cool water, Madge lapped at the water leisurely but when a stick not too far off cracked her head popped up. Ears twitching, her eyes combed the trees around her carefully for signs of someone else out here.