CHAPTER I

July 27, 1815 - Cartwright Mansion

Lord James Burlington,

Good day, my lord! I have recieved the bank notes you have sent regarding our commission on the apartments I have, as you might recall, suggested to you the year before. It is a great joy to me that you have been raising kites since! If there be difficulties with tennants or the house itself, feel free to inform me of it and I shall send aid.

Truly yours,
Seth Cavendish, Duke of Devonshire

"Your Grace?" A soft voice of a woman came from behind the duke. With the letter folded and sealed, he immediately went to the pale brunette who had only bed sheets covering her bare body.

"A good morning to you, Miss Cartwright." he greeted, took her hand, and pressed his lips against her knuckles which gave nothing but a coloring on the lady's cheeks, for the remembrance of the lascivious events of the night before.

"Forgive me, my lady, but I must be on my way."

"To where, Your Grace? It is nothing but the early hours of seven!" she asked in a small panic finally realizing that the duke was already in full outdoor outfit.

"Need I be somewhere for business." With this, the duke bowed and went for the door before the lady spoke again.

"But!" she retorted. Cavendish turned to her, his stormy gray eyes fixed upon the lady with an inquisitive look. She was taken aback. Is he to leave as if nothing happened between them? She tightened her grip on the sheets enveloping her body and asked. "W-where does our relationship s-stand, Your Grace?"

He smiled, his calm demeanor never faltering. Then going back to the lady, he removed a strand of loose hair from her face and put it behind her ear. "We are friends, my lady."

"F-friends?!" She stepped away from him. "But my virtue! I-I-My father, Lord Cartwright, will know of your doing!"

"Then please do tell him, my lady, if that appeases you best." he said not a tiny bit perturbed by the lady's threat. And with a small bow and a subtle smirk on his lips, the duke left the room, leaving the poor Miss Cartwright standing obtusely in her own bed chamber.

The lady had boasted to her aquaintances last night that 'I will be future Duchess of Devonshire', and flirted and clung to the duke for most of the night. He had only given her what she wanted- to be a duchess, to be next to him yet only for a night. Women with light skirts vexed him, for it was always only a title they were after. But he would not bed women for that reason alone. The duke was careful with things. Lord Cartwright is a business partner and without the duke's shares in property and some prospects, the lord's business will decline. And in a society where gingerbread matters the most, the lord will never dare anger him. Because no one ever could go against the most powerful and influential duke in England, the Duke of Devonshire.

It was only but an hour of horse ride, and Cavendish had finally arrived at his temporary abode, Althorp lodge in Northamptonshire, which is only two miles from Cartwright mansion, and he is to stay at said lodge for business matters.

"A good morrow, Your Grace." his manservant greeted while he bowed. "A letter has arrived just this morning, Your Grace."

"Yes. Thank you, Gardner." Upon getting the post, never did escape the duke the achromic coloring of his manservant. Something mischievous was afoot. "What is the matter, Gardner?" he inquired.

"U-um," the manservant stammered; "it is concerning y-your clothes, Your Grace." Gardner was shivering in fear. "T-the laundry m-maid has stolen your clothes after w-washing them yesterday."