Chapter 20

( Niall's POV )

After that night at the hospital, I kept thinking about certain 'what ifs'. What if I didn't do this? What if I didn't do that? What if I stayed? What if I didn't let go? And even after 7 years, those 'what ifs' continue to haunt me.

The band is still strong. We still do some shows in the UK and in America every now and then. Zayn and Louis are both happily married to their lovely wives, Perrie and Eleanor. Liam has been in a long-term relationship with Sophia but somehow still not planning to tie the knot. Harry and I are still single pringles.

I met someone 2 years ago but it didn't work out. I don't think I can ever find the right one for me now. I already found my missing piece but I let her go. Am I regretting what I did back then? Was it all just a mistake? No! No! What am I even thinking? I did that for us. I did that for her.

All that matters now is that she's happy. Though I'm not gonna lie, it kills me everytime to think that I'm not the reason of that happiness. It hurts me when she smiles and I know that it is not for me. It's like a dagger straight to my heart.

"Hey, Ni! They're here!" Harry excitedly informed me. We invited 5SOS and their girlfriends to come over. The other lads and their ladies are on their way. We're gonna have a barbeque tonight here in my casa. We exchanged warm hugs and greetings upon seeing each other for what seemed like forever. "Hey Niall..."

That familiar voice, that sweet, charming voice, "Hey Jordy..." I pulled her in for a hug. "I missed you so much!" she said, hugging me even tighter. And with that I knew that she has really forgiven me. "Oh I missed you even more and you know it!" I said. I haven't seen her for the longest time but the same shock of electricity run throughout my body. I still feel the rush. And in that moment, I was sure that she still has my heart.

I pulled away, avoiding eye contact with her, though her pretty brown eyes are strongly alluring. As I resist her powerful charm, I noticed something rather sparkly on her hand. A diamond ring is placed on the fourth finger of her left hand. I stared at it for a little while before speaking, "Is there anything you want to tell me?" I made it sound like I was teasing her. I even held her hand and tapped the ring. But deep inside, my heart was crushed. Luke and Jordy are engaged! I knew this was soon gonna happen, but I guess I can never be ready for this.

"Yes! Niall! We're getting married!" she exclaimed. Her eyes sparkled like that piece of diamond on her finger. And that just made everything worse. My heart, from its crushed state, shattered into a million pieces and again into a billion bits. I managed to fake a smile. "I'm so happy for you two!" and I hugged her. I can feel my tears build up in my eyes but I held it back. I shouldn't cry, well atleast not here. She pulled away and said, "Well, I'll go help the others prepare the barbeque." Then she rushed to the backyard where the others are.

"Niall..." I turned around and it was Harry. Funny that I didn't recognize his voice. "Are you alright, mate?" he asked. I just nodded my head. "I heard everything." he said. He came closer to me. His sorry eyes broke my heart even more. "She's gonna get married, Harry!" and I burst into tears. He caught me in his arms. "Shh... Niall, you should be happy that she's marrying a good guy." he said. "But--b" I keep on catching my breath from this excessive crying. "I know it's hard, Ni. Trust me, everything's gonna be just fine." he rubbed his fingers through my cheek in a circular motion. "Now, you don't want them to see you looking like that, do you?" he asked. I pouted. "Wipe those tears away. Let's talk about this later. First, let's enjoy tonight! Yeah?" and he hugged me one last time before changing into dry clothes. My tears soaked his shirt that's why.

I pulled myself together, letting out a deep breath before joining the others. Soon, Payno and Sophia, Tommo and El and Zayn and Perrie arrived. The party finally begins!