Wishing -

Twenty-seven

Mount St. Helens

Standing in the middle of the dimly-lit medical room, Lord Derth looks up at his latest created Urchin. Part man, part machine, Lord Derth has been harvesting both weak and deathbed humans for years, implanting mechanical parts and inserting deadly toxins the creatures can use to kill their victims. Then newly-created Urchins are trained in the art of warfare, taught to use weapons made especially for them, schooled in the ways to administer their deadly poison, and incapacitate with the acidic mucus they produce. They are pure killing machines, bred for no other purpose than the annihilation of man.

With sadistic pleasure, he gazes upon his final masterpiece. At seven feet tall, the new Urchin towers above the rest. Built from the same blueprint, this Urchin possesses advanced training, able to take on a dozen of its kind at once, incapacitating them all. Lord Derth has had to replace many due to the training of this one, but it has been well worth it, for his new killing machine is unstoppable.

In another five minutes, the Urchin's regeneration will be complete. Then it will join the others and lead the killing army to the north, where, thanks to one of Challis' traitorous citizens (they can't even trust their own people) they will enter the center of the earth and destroy the Woman of Prophecy along with the rest of his enemies. Until recently, he had wanted the pleasure of killing her himself, but that desire is no longer at the forefront. Now he just wants her dead, period. Today it will finally happen.

He smiles, visualizing the victory. It will be sweet.

* * *

North polar opening

After contacting warriors in Russia, Greenland, and Canada, as well as troops guarding the south opening, Aaron shakes his head sadly, wondering how one person could be so blind and stupid, she would put so many lives at risk to satisfy her revenge on one, and the Woman of Prophecy no less! Until now, he would never have believed it of one of his people, that a Challissian would put her own blood lust before the safety of her own people. He can't even fathom such a thing!

Shaking his head once more, he clears the anger from his mind, concentrating on what lies before them. Their orders had been clear. No one must be allowed to enter the opening. New warriors are arriving from Challis this very minute. Hundreds of them. Every inch of the opening must be guarded. The warriors must provide as much coverage as possible. The birth of the golden child is very close, and if they can hold the Urchins off long enough, the birth will bring them instant victory. The prayers of many are centered around this. Surely The One hears their heartfelt pleas and will stand with them.

* * *

The assassin is in custody, but it still isn't safe enough to come out of hiding, for war is drawing near as we speak.

I understand, President.

How is Celine?

She is a little tired but doing well.

Do you have everything you need?

Yes, we are prepared and anxiously awaiting our son's arrival.

We are as well. What a joyful moment that will be. Stay safe and may The One watch over you.

And you.

Sebastian continues to softly stroke Celine's bare stomach, giving her a sip of water every ten minutes or so. She is tired but feels fine otherwise. Since he'd kept his mind open to hers during his telepathic communication with the president, there is no need to repeat what had been said.