Chapter 9: Winter to Spring, Part 1

Start from the beginning

"The only reason it took that long is because they like you down there," Corin agreed. "Anyway what does it matter, you're still here, aren't you?"

"I might be, but I've been doing extra bookwork every night as penance."

"What I don't understand is how Mhysra got in without her parents' permission," Mouse said, stopping the conversation dead.

Derrain raised his eyebrows and smirked, while Mhysra squirmed in her seat, not about to admit that her cousin had forged her father's signature. "I had a letter from my aunt."

"Mhylla Wrentherin," Derrain said, adding, "of Wrentheria," in case any of them had misunderstood her aunt's importance.

Mhysra scowled as the others made sounds of awe. It was bad enough being a Kilpapan, now she had the Wrentherin name to contend with. She was lucky her friends weren't the jealous sort.

"Well, that explains where Cumulo came from," Corin said, her head whipping around as the door opened. She sighed with disappointment when only Sergeant Rees entered.

"Eyes down, everyone," Derrain mumbled, and the students became fascinated with their empty plates, their discussion forgotten. Rees did not approve of conversation at mealtimes.

* * * * *

THE AIR WAS filled with moisture when Mhysra and her friends left the cathedral on the second Starday in Feather month. Bidding the others farewell, she traipsed home to change, before heading to the eyries to give Cumulo a preen. Working beneath his wings, she listened to the pair on the walkway and smiled. Lieutenant Stirla was often in the eyries on a Starday, happy to show visitors around.

On this occasion, however, Stirla and his companion were already acquainted. Concealed beneath her miryhl's feathers, Mhysra listened as the big lieutenant flirted with her sister. Neither knew she was there, nor realised how often she overheard these little chats. What amused her most was that they thought they were being discreet. While it was true each miryhl only spoke to their Rider, those same Riders were notorious for their gossip.

"Humans are such idiots," Cumulo muttered, and at that moment she had to agree.

"Ho, Riders!" a shout came from outside. "Ho, miryhls! To wing! Riders to flight!"

Feathers rustled as Riders poured into the eyries from all directions, their miryhls dropping down to meet them. Mhysra ducked out from beneath Cumulo's wing and pressed close to him, trying not to get in anyone's way.

"Mhysra!" Milluqua cried, when Stirla raced off towards Atyrn. "What's happening?"

"I'm not sure." Tugging her sister off the walkway, she dragged her against Cumulo as Riders and miryhls jostled around them.

"Messenger, what news?" Striding through the chaos, Lieutenant Lyrai was the only Rider not scurrying for his mount, the only one currently grounded.

"Trouble, sir," the messenger panted, allowing his sweating horsat to be led away. The man was in a bad way, bleeding across his head, back and shoulder and down one arm. A spear was clenched in his right fist as if he was frightened to let go. "East. Attack. Raiders."

All activity paused as the Riders waited for more information.

"Raiders?" Lyrai repeated. "Of what sort?"

The messenger's face was pale, his eyes wide as he breathed the word every human on the Overworld feared, "Kaz-naghkt."

There was silence as the eyries absorbed the shock. Kaz-naghkt so close to Nimbys? In the east. No one had ever heard of such a thing, not in all the years since the clouds came and humans were forced to fly in order to survive. Kaz-naghkt came out of the west, that was how it had always been.

Lieutenant Lyrai clenched his fists. "Riders to wing!"

Chaos resumed and within moments the eyries emptied, miryhls leaving through the hatches, collecting their Riders outside. The lieutenant thanked the messenger and handed him over to an attendant, then stood alone in the middle of the walkway, staring up at the open hatches.

Mhysra ventured out from Cumulo's shadow, one hand resting against his chest and thundering heartbeat. They knew how the lieutenant was feeling.

He turned to them, eyes fierce. "It shall not be borne. It will not." Spinning on his heel, he left.

Mhysra's fist clenched in Cumulo's feathers, longing to follow the Riders. To fight and defend. To do what they had been born for and were training to do.

"Is it true?" Milluqua asked. "Are the kaz-naghkt here? So close to the city?"

Cumulo rested his beak against Mhysra's cheek, breathing fast with frustration. She reached up to soothe him and glanced at her sister. "You heard them. What do you think?"

Milluqua looked towards the hatches where so many miryhls had gone. "I think I am afraid, that this is no longer a game, and I think," she continued, tears in her eyes, "that I couldn't bear to lose you."

Mhysra shook her head sharply. "It was never a game, Milli."

Her sister bit her trembling lip and nodded. "I know. It's just... with all the bets and sneaking about under father's nose, it felt like a game. It wasn't about fighting. Don't ask me what it was about, but it wasn't dangerous. It wasn't real."

"And now that it is?" Mhysra asked, dreading losing her sister's support.

Milluqua took her hand and squeezed. "I could never be as brave as you."

Mhysra didn't know what to say, but when her sister opened her arms, she hugged her tight.

"Whatever happens, you will do this," Milluqua whispered fiercely. "And whatever it takes, I will help you. The Overworld needs every pair of wings it can get. If that includes yours, so be it."