Chapter 9: Winter to Spring, Part 1

Start from the beginning

"You think so?" Mouse quivered, peeping over Derrain's arm.

"I know so," Mhysra assured him, lifting her cider. "To Mouse's glorious future!"

"To Mouse!" the others agreed, and he looked as pleased as if he'd graduated from Aquila already. Not even Harlan could bring himself to drag him down again.

* * * * *

BY THE TIME the new year passed, the remaining students seemed set to stay, with fifteen boys and four girls. Milluqua was delighted, keeping her sister informed about the current betting and how much she'd won thanks to Mhysra's resilience. Yet despite the feeling of belonging that had grown with every passing day, Mhysra was still uneasy. How could she feel otherwise when her deception against her parents was still in place?

Her father knew nothing of her daytime activities, nor did he care. Her mother was busy, returning too infrequently to grow suspicious, but Mhysra knew that wouldn't last. The months were passing and her exams were approaching. Even if she managed to finish the selection school without being found out, how was she to leave for Aquila without being missed?

"You've time left," Milluqua said one evening, while Mhysra was practising deportment by walking around the library with a stack of books on her head. Her sister was embroidering by the fire, the ever-growing Bumble snoozing on her feet.

"Time, yes," Mhysra grumbled, avoiding a footstool and a lump in the carpet. "But I need ideas. He's assumed I've given up because I've stopped pestering him."

"Hm." Milluqua yanked her thread taut. "I'm tempted to say leave without telling him."

Part of Mhysra agreed, but it was the weak bit. "What kind of Rider behaves so cowardly?"

Milluqua didn't answer and they continued their tasks in silence. Until Bumble tripped Mhysra and scattered her books, causing Milluqua to stab herself with her needle.

Lying on the floor amidst the carnage, Mhysra fended off the puppy with a weary laugh. "Is this as an omen?"

Sucking her finger, Milluqua shook her head. "More of a warning. Don't make Bumble part of future discussions."

Though she laughed, the problem weighed on Mhysra's mind until she confided in her friends. Unfortunately they happened to be the same ones who'd laughed when they found out she was Wingborn.

"Tell him," Corin said, leaning back to watch the Riders come in for the noon meal.

"Don't." Naelya, another female student, shook her head.

"No, don't," Mouse agreed. "Not yet, anyway."

"What would you know?" Corin grumbled, slumping as the last Rider closed the door.

"No need to ruin Mhysra's life just because Rider Theryn isn't here," Derrain teased.

Corin snorted. "As if telling the truth would ruin her life."

"Shows what you know," Haelle, the fourth girl and by far the quietest, muttered. Tall like Mhysra and even more willowy, she said very little about herself and her family, but whenever the subject came up she took on a hunted look. "You should keep it a secret as long as you can, Mhysra. Trust me."

"But surely it would be better to tell him herself, than risk him finding out some other way," Dhori said reasonably. Mhysra shared a glance with Derrain and they both shook their heads.

"You're lucky someone hasn't told him already," another lad grumbled. "I only lasted a half-moon before word reached my father."

"That's because you were supposed to be studying with the harbour masters," Naelya reminded him. "And your father is known for paying his informants."