Chapter 17

"How do you feel, Dean?" Mrs. Hill asked, sitting in a more relaxed position than she ever had in the years that Dean had known her. Dean smiled, settling further into the chair and matching her relaxed posture.

"I feel good, the best I've ever felt." Dean replied, his eyes shining as he looked at his therapist.

"I heard about your engagement. Congratulations." Mrs. Hill responded, setting her clipboard on the coffee table that rested between them before resting her hands in her lap.

"Yeah, I can't wait for Sam to wake up so we can have the wedding." Dean replied, a buzz of energy in his limbs. The air was cooling outside as August began to fade to September, and although it brought back unwanted memories, he preferred the cool over the heat.

Mrs. Hill smile faded a bit, a sympathetic look coming over her eyes. "Dean, are you sure he'll wake up?" She asked, straightening her shirt.

Dean nodded, not letting her sudden mood change effect him. "They say his condition is improving. He even moved his finger yesterday." Dean replied, meeting her gaze evenly.

The relief on Mrs. Hill's face as she smiled. "That's great news, Dean! I'm glad that everything is working out for you." Mrs. Hill complimented, her face brightening.

"I am too." Dean said, falling into silence as he stared at the coffee table, not sure what else to say.

"I actually wanted to talk to you about your condition." Mrs. Hill commented. "I think you don't need these sessions anymore. You've been doing very well so far and I believe that you are ready."

"Really?" Dean asked, perking up a bit. Mrs. Hill nodded, smiling at the grin that spread across the Winchester's face.

"Yes, today will be our last session." Mrs. Hill said, standing before holding out her hand to Dean. "and I believe that we've just run out of time. If you ever need to talk about something, you know where to find me."

Dean smiled, taking her dainty hand, giving it a firm shake. "I'll keep that in mind. See you next time, Mrs. Hill."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmth filled him as he entered the Rose and Crown, a smile on his face as he saw Castiel pouring out a drink behind the counter, a look of concentration on his face. Dean greeted the hostess before heading to the bar, taking a seat on the stool at the end of the counter.

Castiel turned, his eyes brightening as he saw Dean sitting there, walking over and leaning on the bar. Dean leaned forwards, pecking the bartender on the lips. If the other workers saw, they didn't bother saying anything.

"How was your day, Dean?" Castiel asked, grabbing a beer and setting in front of Dean, his expression relaxed. Dean took a drink, only a small sip, before setting it back down.

"The therapist cleared me. No more sessions." Dean replied with a bright grin.

"That's great news!" Castiel exclaimed, reaching up resting his hand on top of Dean's. "Looks like things are really looking up."

Dean didn't get to say anymore as a customer called for Castiel's attention, but only a small smile played on his lips as he nursed the beer in his heads. "Yes it is." He whispered, watching Castiel as he walked away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dean and Castiel lied on the couch, the soft background of the TV the only light on in the house. The bartender was nestled up against the flat of Dean's chest, his body between his legs as they relaxed.

Dean slowly wrapped his arms around Castiel's waist, resting his nose in the bartender's hair, taking in the cinnamon scent of his fiance and letting a soft sigh escape his lips.

"I love you." Castiel mumbled, his chest slowly rising and falling under Dean's hand. His heart skipped a beat, something it never really lost as he squeezed Castiel just a little bit tighter.

"I love you too." Dean replied, kissing the top of Castiel's head. The room felt a little too cool, and he could feel his hair beginning to stand up, but he couldn't be bothered to move away from the bartender.

Yet, as soon as the thought crossed his mind, his phone went off. He sighed, actually debating on whether to let it go to voicemail or not. Castiel decided that for him by getting up and handing the phone to him.

Dean hit the talk button, holding it up to his ear. "Hello?" He said, a yawn escaping his lips. Who the hell would be calling him at one in the morning, he had no idea.

"Hello, this is the VA Palo Alto Health Care Division. Can I speak to Dean Winchester?" A woman's voice said, her tone professional. 

"This is him." Dean replied, feeling Castiel bury closer to his side, their hands intertwining gently in each other.

"We're calling about our patient, Sam Winchester. He has begun to rouse from his coma and we expect him to be fully awake in the hour." The woman replied. Dean perked up, his heart hammering as a smile began to spread across his face, turning to Castiel with tears in his eyes.

"We'll be right there."