Chapter Twelve

She woke up, coated in a sticky layer of sweat. The sage green glow of the lake indicated that it was nearly light outside. Elizabeth sat up and rubbed her eyelids. The room was quiet, but it was her own. The thoughts of what had occurred came flooding back into her mind.

"Walburga," she whispered, nudging her with her foot. Elizabeth didn't know what she would say, but she knew she had to apologize somehow.

Walburga shifted around and swatted at the air. Elizabeth nudged her again. She groggily lifted her head, swallowing her pride.

"It's not even breakfast time yet, what is it?" she whispered with a coarse voice.

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry."

Walburga sat up, tired but more alert. "What?"

"About earlier," Elizabeth reminded her, a bit confused.

"What do you mean?" her eyebrows were furrowed and she looked genuinely stumped. "We haven't spoken since dinner last night," she looked at the clock. "Or should I say, twelve hours ago."

"What?" Elizabeth muttered. It was then, she looked down at her arms and saw the thick, scarlet robe. After a moment of putting thoughts together, she realized what had actually occurred. "Never mind. I know exactly what happened," she stood up.

"What is it?" Walburga asked.

"Tom. He snuck in here last night and made me think something happened that didn't. I don't know why, but he's trying to separate our friendship," Elizabeth exclaimed.

"Oh, that's awful Beth!" Walburga stood, giving Elizabeth a hug of condolence. The hug felt unnatural because of the aura set by Walburga in her dream.

Elizabeth soon realized something else. Tom and her shared a kiss. Was that part of his plan? Did he wish for her to think that it had happened?

"What are you going to do?" Walburga was wide eyed, deeply concerned about absolutely anything involving Tom.

"Should I go along with it? Maybe pretend to be mad at you and the girls so I can see what he wants?"

Elizabeth refrained from telling her about the kiss or what the fight was about. Walburga nodded, "It'll serve him right. I think I know what's happening. I think that Tom wants to separate you and the girls from me so that he can have me all to himself," she declared, proudly.

"I agree," Elizabeth nodded her head. She felt a small pang of jealousy, but brushed it away quickly. "So in order for this plan to work, we need to carry it out perfectly."

"I won't talk to you. Not one word," Walburga put her shoulders back, her broad grin pulling a slight smile from Elizabeth. "Tilly," she poked Matilda. "Wake up!"

Matilda groggily sat up in annoyance at the ancient nickname that Walburga had addressed her by, discombobulated with her hair in a knot at her neck. "Hm?" she stretched her arms out in front of her.

"Melissa!" Walburga whisper-yelled and threw a throw pillow at her, provoking a slight whimper. At last, all of the girls were awake. Matilda sat next to Elizabeth while Melissa leaned, half asleep on Walburga's shoulder.

"Why are we awake?" Matilda yawned, "It's so early!"

"Well we just became aware of a plan that involves-," Elizabeth started.

"Tom is in love with me," Walburga interrupted, biting her lip as she tried to hold in a squeal.

Matilda darted her eyes over to Elizabeth in a split second, without Walburga noticing.