01: A normal school life

"Yume, what are doing? Stop daydreaming already."

Yume looked up to see someone shaking her shoulder. 

"Come on, the teacher's calling us already! We're gonna get in trouble if we don't go!"

What? Go where?

Yume stood up realising she was at a sports field. She was being told to run by the teacher. She stood up and took her place at the track. The whistle went off and she ran. Next it was normal classes, English, Math, Science then History. Somehow, without even knowing much about the school, she was able to follow all the classes. She could even find her way to her dorm room. What was this? It creeped her out how easily she was able to find her way when she had no recollection of anything.

She wasn't able to sleep that night. It was strange. Being able to lead such a school life. Not being able to remember anything. She didn't understand what was happening. What was the point in going to school if she didn't even know who she was. 

"What's wrong Shimizu? Are you daydreaming? Are you alright?" The teacher asked her.

"I'm not daydreaming and I'm not okay! Why am I here? What's my purpose in coming here? Why can't I remember anything! Who am I?" Yume slammed her hands on the table. She was out of breath and barely noticed when the door of the classroom opened and a student walked in holding a class roster.

"You are Shimizu Yume. Your purpose here is to lead a fun and fulfilling school life. Then you are going to graduate happily from this school. If you can't remember anything then go make some memories with your classmates. Any more questions?" He told her after walking to her desk. Yume was so stunned all she could do was shake her head and fall back to her seat.

"If you ever have any more questions or worries, You can always drop by the student council office. I will always be there to help you." Then, as quickly as he arrived, the brown haired boy left the classroom.

"I can't believe the student council president spoke to her! She's so lucky!" were heard in the classroom after he left. Yume spent the rest of the day in daze. She was bored out of her mind since she already knew all of the material being taught. She made up her mind to find the boy at the student council office once school ended. At least, that was the plan. When the last bell rang and she got up to pack her things, the door to the classroom was shoved open.

"There she is! A new student!" A guy pointed at her. Before she knew it, they had surrounded her. Then, a boy with blond hair and red eyes said, "Wait. You guys are being scary. Stop it with the menacing looks. It's nice to meet you Shimizu Yume. I am Yukimura Itsuki, the leader of the Rebellion. We are the rebels against this world and God. Haven't you ever thought that this world was unfair? That if possible, you would like to go to the all almighty God and ask him what was his deal, giving you that kind of life?"

"No."

"Exactly, your life was unfair as well. You also want to take revenge.. on.. God... Wait did you just say no?"

"Yes. In the first place, I don't know who you all are and I don't have any memories so I cant say that I was happy or unhappy with my life. If I had to say, I am irritated that I can't remember anything. In any case, I am alive right now so I guess everything's fine. If you will excuse me, I have something I want to do and you're in the way."  With that, Yume stood up a and started to walk away.

"Wait! Those words. Does that mean you don't know that you're dead? This is Afterlife. Those who've experienced an unfair life come here so you must have experienced something to have make you come here. I'm sure of it! If you don't want to disappear then you should avoid coming to this school!"

Yume stopped at the door of the classroom. "What did you say? Why would I disappear just from attending school? This isn't some elaborate joke you guys came up with right? Don't be ridiculous. It's better if you all stop playing this game of yours."

By the time Yume knocked on the door of the student council office, no one responded. The door was locked and everyone had gone home. 

What was that 'I will always be there to help you.' bullshit? In the end, no one is here. In the end, Yume was only able to meet with the Student council president days later no thanks to the people from the 'Rebellion' ambushing her every single day after class. 

"Come in. Ah, Shimizu Yume right? What's wrong? Take a seat and tell me about it." The same boy from that day was seated behind a mountain of papers. 

"I have some questions. First, who are you? Why is everyone talking about how cool you are and all that. Second, why do I have amnesia? Is there a hospital or something so I can get my memories back? Third, some people came to find me after school today. One of them was called Yukimura Itsuki or something. They were talking about some nonsense saying they were fighting God or something. Why hasent anyone done something about them?"

He put down his pen and removed his glasses before replying. "Hmm, I have no idea why that kind of image was built up of me but I'm just a normal student like you. The only difference is that I am the student council president. This world has no hospitals since people do not get sick but if you don't feel well you can always head to the infirmary. Amnesia is actually pretty common if you hit your head before coming here. Your memories will come back if you just leave it alone. Something will probably trigger it. As for the last topic, this world is free. How you want to live your life is up to you and if putting your fullest into something else allows you to feel happy then I'd say go for it! That's why I will not stop those guys from doing what they want. Well, it's not like what they are saying is completely nonsense. If you really feel bothered by them then I guess I could help you talk to them. Would you like that?"

"Wait wait. What do you mean before coming here?"

"Before you died of course. This is the Afterlife and you have come here to lead a fun and fulfilling youthful life. Ah. I guess a welcome to the Afterlife would be appropriate?" He smiled at her.

"I thought you were going to say something important but it turns out you're spouting the same nonsense as those people! Do you take me for a fool? How can I be dead when I'm standing right here, mister student council president?"

"My name is not student council president. It's Yuzuru, Otonashi Yuzuru. This is the Afterlife. People cannot die in this world. If you believe me then you are free to try."

"I've had enough of this nonsense. If what you say is true then why don't you prove it to me?" Yume slammed her hands on the table.

"If that is what you want. Then, let me prove it to you." That's when the student council president Otonashi Yuzuru pulled out a gun from under the table and shot himself.