Chapter 16: The Truth

Start from the beginning

After finally getting away from Damon, I drove to The Grill. I needed coffee in my system. Something to keep me going for the long day with Damon. Ever since vampires came into my messed up life I never have time for school. My grades haven't dropped so much, but that's only because Damon compelled them to keep my grades up so Aunt Jenna doesn't find out I've been missing school almost everyday. Today I was starting the day off at school but at noon I'd sneak out to the tomb. Stefan may know something's up... So maybe Damon can create a distraction with Caroline for Stefan and Elena to handle. After getting a coffee I headed to school. I parked my car and there was Tyler, standing next to Matt his neck and wrist were wrapped up after getting out of the hospital late last night. I started walking towards them and they stopped talking to each other once I was in listening distance.

"Hey Ty.. How are you doing?" I asked sympathetically.

"Honestly I'm not really sure." He shrugged.

"I'm gonna head to class." Matt interrupted. "By the way Rox, my boss wants to talk to you again about that job."

"Wow, I totally forgot I even applied for that." I sighed.

"You've been missing a lot of school lately... Is everything ok?" Matt asked softly.

"Yeah, everything's just fine." I nodded in a lie.

"I'll see you guys later then." Matt nodded to Tyler and I before walking away.

"So how are you really doing?" I asked.

"Horrible." He nodded. "You never came by the hospital later."

"That's because you're mom put Jenna on fundraiser duty, and let's face it, Jenna's not capable of that stuff on her own." I smiled softly.

"I need to know what attacked me." He replied.

"I don't think now is a good time to talk about it." I whispered. "I'll come over later, ok?"

"Fine." He sighed walking away from me. I sighed loudly and leaned on the big tree I was near.

"Everything ok?" Stefan's sweet voice came from behind me.

"No.." I groaned. "When did boys get to be the complicated ones?"

"Are we talking about Tyler, or..." He started.

"I don't know honestly." I sighed.

"Well if it makes you feel any better, Damon hasn't said a word to me. Every time I try to talk to him he shuts me down." Stefan replied.

"Do you think he's still trying to find Katherine?" I asked. "He's been so obsessed with the tomb lately, it's not like him to just give up."

"I don't know. He waited a hundred and forty five years only to find out that Katherine could not care less. I mean its gotta hurt, right?" He shrugged and I nodded slightly.

"And it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.... I guess what I'm saying is he deserved it.." I sighed.

"You have every reason to be upset with him." Stefan nodded in response.

"But then I think, this is just the way Damon is now.. He's not that same guy you've described from the past." I replied. "He's hurt Stefan and he doesn't have anyone to turn to except you."

"He's Damon.. Either he'll get over it or flip the switch... There are only two sides to a vampire like him, and neither of them are good." He shrugged.

"But maybe we can make them good, Stefan. As long as he's in this town everyone is at risk. Don't you think it's time we started treating him like someone who cares?" I asked calmly.