"Yep. This year, we have an impressive group. Though I did fail them all at one point..." Menchi trailed off in embarrassment before taking another bite of her meal.

"But doesn't it depend on what the upcoming phases consist of?" Buhara questioned quizzically.

"That's true... But didn't you notice it? One of them had this whole aura thing going on – number 406. But even without all that energy flowing from her, she's still quite the eye-catcher. Did you see that flaming red hair?" she explained, excitement lacing her tone. "What do you think, Satotz?"

"Oh, yes." The older Hunter placed down his knife and fork, instead picking up a napkin to dab at his mouth. "I like the rookies this year."

"Ha! So you agree? I think 294 has a good shot," Menchi stated.

"I'm partial to 99," Satotz interjected.

"He looks like a selfish, spoiled brat," she laughed. "What do you think, Buhara?"

The large man pondered the thought for a second. "Well... He isn't a rookie, but 44 is the one I favor. I'm sure you noticed, but when 255 was throwing a fit, it was 44 who was really on the verge of killing someone."

"I did notice that, of course. He could barely restrain himself from tearing off our heads. But didn't you realize?" Menchi inquired, brows knit together. "He was already that way from the first moment we appeared."

"Really?" Buhara asked in surprise.

Menchi nodded. "Yeah, that's the real reason I was so edgy. He kept challenging me."

Satotz took a sip of his tea and spoke up, "I had a similar experience. He should be carefully monitored." His tone was serious, and he let out a sigh before looking up at the other two.

"Though it pains me to admit this, we are birds of a feather with him. However, his affinity for darkness is far stronger... It's surprising to see 406 around him so much, when her aura is about as light as his is dark."

"I noticed that too; it's strange to see them paired together when they're such opposites. Did you see how their auras react to each other though? I took note of it before they took the plunge into the ravine. His aura seems to completely engulf her presence when she's close to him – but even inside something so poisonous, her aura continues to strongly circulate around her, almost as if she's immune to it, or it's ineffective on her. It's weird," Menchi explained, dropping her fork on her cleared plate and leaning back.

"Yes – that's definitely not an alliance I expected when she first appeared in the First Phase. Besides number 403, the other applicants wouldn't go near 44. But I suppose the two may have been drawn to each other because of their Nen," Satotz murmured, nodding to himself. "As Hunters, we are continually seeking out rivals. Ultimately, the Hunter Exam is but a place to find opponents worthy of respect. Perhaps that is exactly what the alliance between the two is... Either way, every once in a while we do encounter someone who hits the floor running, when we try to slow things down. An oddball of sorts – and it seems we simply have a pair this year."

[Priya – 1st Person POV]

I closed the last door with an irritant sigh, knowing there was no way I'd be able to get any sleep in any of the rooms with the other applicant's loud snoring. My entire body felt heavy and sluggish, and instead of wandering around for a better place to sleep, I simply took to one of the many benches that were spread around the airship and overlooked the sparkling city below.

I sat down and set my bag in front of me, wrapping my arms around it and arranging it to use it as a pillow. I laid my cheek against it, the smell of spices, the forest, and my home engulfing my senses and calming me. This was nice, even if I only had this moment to appreciate it. For the first time, I didn't feel worried about the Exam. I had already gotten this far, and although I knew the phases yet to come would really determine whether I became a Hunter or not, I didn't feel uncertain.

I stared down at the twinkling city lights below, sparkling like a thousand jems.

There were so many places I wanted to travel to once I got my Hunter's License; so many places I wanted to see and things I wanted to do. Once I gained my License I would be able to do anything – although the most important thing was for me to become stronger, and to continue practicing my Nen. Yes, I had my own desires, but protecting my village came first. Thinking back to Gran and the Elders, the village men and women, the children, and the forest we coexisted with... I couldn't fail. This wasn't just for me anymore.

"Goodnight, Eitri," I murmured.

My heavy eyes began to droop, and before my lashes kissed, I had already fallen into darkness.

"Hurry – hurry children, get inside!"

I stood frozen, terrified as I watched them come, the forest burning behind them.

"Liánhuā! Liánhuā! Get inside!" Gran was yelling, tugging on my arm, pulling me back towards the house where the women and children were hidden away. The Elders and able-bodied men of the village stood at the village edge, waiting with bated breath as the intruders approached.

"No – Gran, no! I-I have to protect everyone..."

It was my duty – that's why I was born...to protect everyone. And yet why... why am I so scared? Why does it feel like I'm so helpless; being dragged to safety so others could protect me? God, why?

Gran swooped me up in her arms, running through the village as I clung tightly to her. I could see the intruders now running at our men, hideous cries escaping their lips as they raised sharp, gleaming weapons. The fire behind them raged, casting their silhouettes in black smoke and ash.

Demons.

These weren't men – they were demons.

I saw the first of our men get struck down before Gran pushed inside the safe house, and we were engulfed in darkness.

I could hear the silent cries and whimpers from the children, the feverous whispered prayers from the women. Gran set me down but kept a tight hold on my hand; she seemed to be my only support as the villagers fear washed over me and dragged me under.

Our people were threatened, the forest burning, our men dying. This – this wasn't supposed to happen. These things didn't happen...not to us.

I tightly shut my eyes, tears cascading down my cheeks as I shook violently. I was still too weak to do anything. Still too weak to help everyone – and they would suffer for it.

"Liánhuā..." Gran whispered my name, her hand letting go of mine and coming to rest on top of my head. "Remember your training. You can do it – we all believe in you."

How? How can you believe in me when I don't even believe in myself?

I moved out from under her hand, crouching down and wrapping my arms around my knees as I buried my face in my lap.

'Everyone...I'm sorry.'

I closed my eyes, and waited for the end.