Chapter Twenty Nine

Start from the beginning

"That's funny. I've heard nothing about you." Lena answers, quirking an eyebrow at the both of us. I bite down on my lip and glance up at Harry worriedly.

"There's not much to tell. Harry and I are... Just friends." I assure in return. Lena rolls her eyes and I can practically feel Harry's discomfort beside me.

"Really?"

"Yes, really." I shoot her a glare to indicate for her to drop the subject and she holds her hands up in surrender.

"Alright, well, what do you girls want to do? There's no staff anywhere on campus right now but I'd be more than happy to call someone if you need me to, or we can just wait until tomorrow morning. I can say I was just here getting some work done and you guys tracked me down." Harry rubs his chin thoughtfully and Lena listens, but her attention seems to divert elsewhere seconds later.

"Wait, are you... Do you work at the school?" She looks between Harry and I in confusion while I huff quietly.

"Yes, I'm an English professor here. I know this may be a bit uncomfortable-"

"Kate, what the hell! Don't you think this is something you should tell me?" Lena pulls me away from Harry and laughs loudly as she embraces me. I look at Harry over her shoulder and he only offers me a confused shrug.

"I know, Le. Sorry I didn't tell you. You haven't been home lately and it just hasn't come up..."

"Yeah, it's not a typical conversation piece for you to casually mention you're dating a professor." She gives me a playful glare and I laugh along with her, even though I hate the fact that we're even having this conversation.

"Anyways, it's going to be a really long night if we try to bring other staff into this. Do you think we could just hold out until tomorrow, Le?" I look over at Lena who's now typing something on the screen of her phone. I panic momentarily thinking that she's telling someone about my relationship with Harry, but I have a feeling the only person she would tell if anyone is her boyfriend. Dillon won't care even though I'm sure he'll be hearing all about it from her.

"Yeah, we can wait until tomorrow. Where will we stay tonight though? I guess we could flip the mattresses down on the floor but then we'll be moving around stuff which could be bad." Lena glances around the room and I do the same, hating knowing that this is happening to Lena and I while it's very likely only aimed at me.

"You guys can stay at my apartment if you want. Well, if that won't be weird for you, Lena. Kate stays with me all the time but I don't want to make either of you feel uncomfortable." I feel Harry's arms snake around my waist again and I lean back against him while waiting for Lena to respond. I'm sad that this is the way she had to find out about Harry and I. She wasn't supposed to find out at all, but if she did I wanted it to be in a more respectful way than this.

"That's fine, I guess. I don't think Dillon will like me staying there but it's better than staying here." Lena shrugs her shoulders and I turn my head to look up at Harry. He doesn't say anything- instead, he leans down to kiss my temple in assurance while waiting for Lena to make a decision.

"I'll get some overnight stuff." She finally states. She glances at us one last time before turning around to walk back over to where her suitcase is laying on the floor.

"I'm going to go pull the car around to the front. Come out whenever you guys are ready." Harry rubs his hand down my back and I nod in agreement with him.