Chapter 26- Thunderstorm Terrors

Start from the beginning

I walk over to the car as the open the window “Get in the god damned car right now and don’t even think about arguing!” Eve yells at me. I nod, and slip into the back seat, towels already lain out and a couple extra next to me. I sit on most of the towels to make sure I didn’t get the car soaked as I wrap another two around me as I shiver, teeth chattering. I guess I hadn’t realized how long I was out there. 

“What the hell were you doing out there!?” Eve asks looking at me in the review mirror, looking furious. But I could tell she was really worried too. I smiles weakly “W-w-walking h-home f-from w-w-ork-k” I chatter smiling sheepishly. She scowls at me “What were you thinking child! Did you check the weather before leaving the library?” she snaps. I shake my head slightly and she just huffs, making her way through the rain rather recklessly. 

I knew she wouldn’t crash though, I trusted her with my life. I look over at Jessica, or try to since I was sitting behind her, and wondered why she was here. I didn't mind really, I just found it strange to see my best friend and crush in the same car. I didn't even know try knew each other. Well them again maybe they didn't. I know I've mentioned Jessica to Eve but not Eve to Jessica....I think. Maybe, I wasn't sure and was to tired to think properly at the moment. 

"W-why w-were y-you t-two out h-here in t-this w-weath-ther?" I ask trying to warm up a bit. Even laugh at my pathetic attempt to speak properly and I just reach around ad punch her arm. Jessica just watches us silently but I could see the humor in her eyes. "Eve called to ask if I was at your house since she didn't find you at yours" Jessica replies a moment later in a soft voice. I nod slightly "Oh okay. Thanks, how'd you know where I was?" I ask after a moment "We didn't, I was just guessing you we're near your second job" Eve replies instantly. 

I nod slightly thinking for a moment "Where are you taking me now? And where's my mother?" I ask timidly. I watch as Eve glances at me then Jessica then the road quickly. Jessica’s gaze slides over to Eve and Eve looks at her again. I start to get worried “W-whats going on?” I demand nervously. “I’m taking you to Jessica’s. Your mother isn’t home” she says slowly. I blink and take this in for a moment but flinch as thunder crashes. I see Jessica glance at me fairly surprised and Eve curse as she speeds up some. 

Suddenly and slams in the breaks an we skid to a halt, burning tire and asphalt as we stop. I get pitched forward and fly in between the two front seats. I groan and try to sit up but failing since I was all tangled up in the towels. "Why'd you stop so suddenly?" I ask freeing an arm to rub my head look around confused. "We're at Jessica's house. Hurry up, get inside before you get sick" eve says softly, helpings up as I sneeze and loose balance. 

I smile gratefully at her "Thank you Eve, Jessica" I say managing keep my chattering teeth under control. "No problem sweetie. Take care okay? Don't get sick, Jessica will take good care of you. And Jessica don't forget what I said" Eve say smiling at me softly. I grin happily at her as I wrap the towels up in a bundle, leaving them in the back before I get out of the car and into the pouring rain again. I wondered what she meant by "don't forget what I said". What's se tell Jessica? 

Jessica's parents are outside with umbrellas. Mrs. Nights runs over me Jessica and I and usher us inside while Mr. Nights talks to Eve about something. I hug Eve quickly and smile greatly up at her before running inside. 

"Come now, lets get you into a hot shower an some dry clothes" Mrs. Nights says leading me to a shower. I smile a little as I peel if my soaking clothes and drop my things to the floor before slipping into he warm shower. I faintly hear Mrs. Nights asking Jessica to get spare clothes for me and to shower herself. I stand there, soaking in the hot water as my brain catches up to what was going on. 

Mrs. Nights comes back in, telling me there were clothes on the sink for me. I shut the water off and grab a towel before coming out from the shower. I smile gratefully at her "T-thank you" I say as I shiver a bit. She smiles and hugs me "No worries my dear" se says before leaving so I could change. I pull on the dry clothes along with a sweater. I hang the wet towel up before plodding out of the bathroom. 

I look around, trying to figure out where I was. "Hey there, you feel better?" Someone asks to my right. I spin around to see Jessica standing there with a as mall smile on her face. I smile and nod, walking over to her. "Thank you" I say softly fiddling with the hem of the sweater. Thunder rubles an I flinch, look around scared out of my skin. Lighting flashes brightly and thunder booms loudly over ahead. I turn and run into the closest room, it was Jessica's I think, and dive under the bed. I absolutely hated these thunderstorms, they scared me to death. 

I hear feet walking in and open my eyes long enough to see the hem of Jessica's pants. "Kaylee? Are you in here? It okay to come out, don't worry" se say softy as she walks around the room trying to ind me. I take some deep breathes before crawling out from under the bed, surprising her a bit. "Oh there you are! How'd you get under there? Never mind, are you hungry?" She asks looking at me concerned. I shake my head slightly and sit against the wall, hugging my knees tightly. 

Next thing I know, her arms are around me comfortingly. Instinctively, I lean into her arms, hiding my face in her shoulder. I feel her start to rub my back a bit and slowly start to relax. I smile slightly and turn my head so I was sorta looking at her with tired eyes. She smiles at me as my stomach growls and lightning flashes. "You sound pretty hungry. I could ask my mom to bring some food up" she offers. I shrug slightly "No, it's okay. I'm just tired and still cold" I answer softly. 

I felt so weak an helpless and I hated the feeling. I take several deep breathes to calm myself down and sit up properly. I look around to see we were indeed in Jessica room. I smile slightly and stand shakily, climbing up into her bed and under the covers on the side not near the windows. I watch as Jessica stand ad smiles, siting on my bed next to me. 

"Here's your bag, well what was in it. All your books and papers got wet but they're drying out down stairs. And here's your phone" she informs me, handing my my home. I smile and take it, checking it quickly for a moment before setting it in my lap "Thank you" I say running a jam through my hair an sighing softly. I sneeze suddenly, the force of it shaking my body along with my shivers. I sigh, even after a hot shower and warm clothes, I was still pretty cold and possibly getting sick. 

I sit up in the bed, holding the blankets around me as I look over at Jessica curiously. She was in a thoughtful state as she looks outside for several minutes. Finally she turns to face me with a small smile "are you sure your not hungry?" she asks me with a slight worried look. I nod and my stomach growls. I look away a bit embarrassed as she laughs and gets up "Well, I'm going with yes. I'll go get some food now" she says walking around the bed and heading out the door. 

I nod slightly and curl up under the blankets, grabbing my phone to check it. I turn the brightness down and telling Eve I was okay. I turn on some music and blast the volume so it was all I could hear and not the storm. I sit up and set my phone down as I look around her room curiously. I smile slightly as I remember when I first came here. 

Someone lightly touches my shoulder and freak out for a moment but then relax as i see it was just Jessica with food. “Foods here” she say smiling cheerfully. I smile gratefully and turn the music off while we eat and talk a bit before going to bed. We get ready for bed quickly, both us very tired. She slips under the covers next to me but stays on her side of the bed. I curl up and put the pillow over my head to block out the noise since the storm was still ragging on. “Good Night Kaylee” she murmurs looking over at me. I smile “You too, good night Jessica” I answer 

I hear her fall asleep quickly as I lay wide awake. I roll over, facing her as I watch her sleep a bit. She looked so peaceful and happy. I sigh and close my eyes, listening to her breathing which helped me fall asleep quickly.