“Empty threats.” I murmured, knowing he could hear.

                “Not for long.” He replied. I waited to make sure he actually left before walking inside. I didn’t need to ask where Sutton was, I could smell her enticing scent. I stepped into the empty elevator, taking a deep breath and closing my eyes as II traveled upwards. I was about to do the hardest thing I’d ever done in my entire life.

Sutton’s POV:

                I cursed once again and turned over slowly. Unfortunately, I hadn’t been able to fall asleep after Jason left. I tossed and turned, trying to get comfortable, but the drift of drowsiness refused to come to me. I sighed and sat up, turning the lamp on the table next to me on. I sat for a second in silence, listening to the pitter patter of nurses shoes as they made their rounds.

                I hadn’t been sitting long when I heard him, felt his presence. My heart soared, I knew he wouldn’t just leave me. I could hear him get off the elevator a few feet down the hall, his musky scent flowing around me. Not wanting to look desperate I turned my head and stared blankly out the dark window. A second later I felt his warm gaze on my cheeks but I continued to stare out at the blackened world.

                “Sutton.” His voice was tinged with so many emotions it was hard to decipher them all. Concern, fear, nervousness, and oddly sadness. Why would he be sad? I turned to look at him, drinking in his tall form and beautiful, strong features.

                “Didn’t expect to see you here.” My voice came out a little sharper then I intended. Maybe I was a little upset that it took him this long to come make sure I was alright. Maybe.

                “Are you upset with me?” I turned and stared at him head on, confused as to why he sounded hopeful.

                “I just find it odd it took you this long to come see your mate.” I emphasized the word mate, and watched his reaction carefully. He sighed and looked down, running a thumb down the bridge of his nose. He suddenly looked tired and stressed, sad. Very sad.

                “Sutton, you don’t want me as a mate.” He said, still looking down.

                “What? Sure I don’t know you very well,  but I can spot a good, genuine person when I see one. Why would I not want you as a mate?” He looked into my determined face, searching for something. He obviously didn’t find it when his fists clenched and his teeth locked together.

                “Let me rephrase.” His voice was icy. I sat, shocked. What the hell had happened between us?

                “Go ahead.” I matched his tone.

                “I don’t,” I silently begged for him not to say what I already knew he was going to say. “Want you as a mate.”

                I was stunned into silence, searching his face for any signs of weakness. Any trace of falseness. His face ,though, was like a cold stone. Emotionless and uncaring.

                “Bu-” I stuttered.

                “Sutton. I don’t want you. I went out with you just to see if you were worthy of being my mate. Sorry, didn’t quite pass the test.” He shrugged, like it didn’t matter. “Besides, I have a girlfriend. I mean how pathetic, stealing another girl’s boyfriend.” He said in a slightly disinterested tone.

                “But I’m your mate.” The statement sounded weak and brittle even to my own ears. Tears already brimmed in my eyes, my heart was shattering. It had never occurred to me that my own mate wouldn’t want me. It feels like someone just stabbed you in the heart when the one person in the whole world who is just destined to love you doesn’t even want you.

                “Unfortunately, we don’t pick our mates.” I looked at my hands before looking up, suddenly angry.

                “I certainly wouldn’t have picked you if we could have picked our own mates.” I seethed.

                “Good, we’re on the same page.” Evan’s expression was as steely and uncaring as his face. Just as suddenly as it had come, my anger left, leaving me defeated and broken. I felt tears make a path down my check. I thought I saw a flash of regret and remorse run across Evan’s face before it reshaped back into his original cold, unnerving appearance.

                “Get out.” I whispered, my voice barely audible. I just wanted to weep in private and mourn the loss of what I never really had. He still hadn’t moved. What? Did he want me to go to my knees and beg? I had pride, something I was not about to lose, not even to come. “Get out!” I shouted. He nodded and left.

                As soon as the elevator carrying him and his intoxicating scent down left, I curled into a ball and sobbed. How could the only person that had to love you, reject you? There must be something really wrong with you for that to happen. I cried because when Evan left, he took  piece with me. A piece I was sure I would never get back.

                Eventually sleep overtook me, giving me an hour of blankness. I left the pain and embarrassment of Evan’s rejection, the utter despair I was in, behind. I drifted off to a place where Evan and I were together, a place where things seemed lighter and brighter. I drifted off to sleep, happy to leave the desolate pain behind.