How dare he show up here!

                In the shadow of the entrance archway stood Luke, the asshole held a smug look. I took a step forward, ready to punch it off him.

                “Here so late, Evan. Actually early.” His smooth voice sailed over to me. I glanced at my watch. Just after three in the morning. Funny, many believe that three in the morning is the start of the witching hour. The hour when all things dark come out. I almost laughed at the irony to this.

                “What the hell are you doing here?” I snarled, my anger still rampaging through my body. He looked over me carefully, eyeing judging the amount of anger rolling off me. And trust me, my anger was rolling off me in hot, violent waves.

                “Just making sure she’s ok. Whoever did this must be a terrible person.” I fumed at his play at innocence.

                “Cut the crap. You and I both know you did this you son of a bitch.” I hissed at him. He chuckled.

                “Sure you’re not talking about yourself there? I mean, your mom was a bitch.” He smiled at his joke.

                “Better than a whore.” I smirked. It was no secret that Luke’s mom slept around with different guys. I did have to admit though, with her midnight hair and stormy eyes, it was certainly hard for men to resist her. Luke’s eyes hardened at my insult.

                “You never did say what you were doing here at three in the morning.” He folded his arms across his chest and waited. I weighed my answer carefully, thinking of an explanation.

                “I’m future Alpha. It’s my job to care about my pack. When I heard Sutton was attacked by a pigheaded freak of nature, I rushed over to make sure she was alright.” He glowered at my freak of nature comment. If there was anything that bugged Luke, it was being called a freak.

                “Really? It looks like your rushing over here to see your mate.” He raised his eyebrows slightly, judging my facial expressions closely. He leaned forward slightly, staring intently at me.

                “You must be stupider than I originally though if you don’t remember a conversation we just had. I don’t have a mate.” It was quiet for a minute, the air buzzing with expectancy. This was the moment that controlled everything. Either Luke would buy my story or he would see through my lie. Part of me hoped he would see right through me so I could be with Sutton while the other half wanted nothing more than to protect her.

                “Well than I feel sorry for your future mate.” Luke said at last. He believed me. I swallowed my pain and nodded.

                “I’ll be hitting the streets looking for. At every corner.” I wanted him to think I was actually searching for my mate. If he knew that she was sitting in his own backyard, it wouldn’t be long till he tied it back to Sutton.

                “Spend a lot of time at the corners, do you?” My wolf snarled. How dare he accuse me of going after hookers. I smiled, thinking of a comeback.

                “Yeah, that’s where I met your sister.” I smirked. I felt like we were immature little kids, but I needed to blow off steam and Luke just happened to be here.

                “I’m going to-” He cut himself off, glaring voraciously at me. He cursed under his breath and started to walk away.