Chapter Four Mixed Emotions

"Naruto, we're gonna help you, we're going to heal you. We'll keep you safe... Just- hold on.." A terrified looking Gaara shouted at the blonde.
"Hold on.. "
"Hold on.. "
"Hold on.." Those two words echoed through the fox's mind over and over again.
"You didn't hold on." A more angry sounding Gaara spat.

Naruto shot up quickly from his bedroll in a cold sweat. Gaara sat up from the blondes chest, leaning on an elbow.
"Naruto? You okay?"
"What happened before I woke up three months ago, Gaara? What happened before the coma?" The blonde spoke quickly.
"I- I told you, you were injured." The red-head replied nervously, "Are you okay, you're scaring me Naruto.."
"I- I'm fine... I just had a weird dream... wait, you're the Kazekage of Sunagakure, how come you've spent the last three months with me free of charge?" Suspicion grazed over the blondes eyes.
"Well... I quit."
"You quit?! After all of your work to become Kazekage, you quit?!" He yelled shocked.
"Pretty much." The red-head replied nonchalantly. Naruto groaned angrily, and got up from his bedroll. "Naruto, where are you going?"
"Out." He barked, slipping on his shoes before exiting the tent.
"I see that." Gaara muttered before he too stood up and left the tent.

"Naruto, would you talk to me? You've been giving me the silent treatment for twenty minutes." The raccoon grumbled, trailing behind Naruto. He was growing impatient, and sped up, now walking beside the blonde. He was still being ignored. The Kazekage grabbed the blondes wrist and whirled him around. Angry blue eyes met annoyed green. "Damn it Naruto! Speak to me." The man ordered. All he received was an angry glare. They stared at each other for several minutes before the leaf ninja turned his head and looked at the ground. This infuriated the sand shinobi and he used his free hand to grasp the blondes chin, turning his gaze back to Gaara's. "Talk. To. Me." Gaara annunciated each word beyond its need. Silence. "Damn you!" He yelled, shoving the blonde onto a nearby tree and pinned both wrists down. 'At least that got me a change of expression..' Naruto's eyes were now filled with shock. "Talk to me damnit!" Gaara barked again.
"And say what!? All I have to say should be left unsaid!" Naruto shot back.
"Communication is key you idiot!" The Kazekage bellowed.
"Oh I'm the idiot?! I'm not the one who quit my job that I swore to protect my people! I'm not the one that let my entire village down!" The blonde yelled in return.
"You did let them down Naruto!" Gaara slipped, and realizing this he sealed his lips, letting go of the blonde.
"When the hell did I ever do that?!"
"Forget it." Gaara responded.
"No, you started it so you fini-"
"I said forget it!" The raccoon yelled. Naruto paused with his mouth half open, almost daring to continue to find out what he was talking about, but thought better of it.
"Why?" Was all the leaf ninja could muster.
"What.." Gaara muttered, examining a fallen leaf resting peacefully on the ground. 'That should be you...' he thought.
"Why'd you do it?..." The blonde muttered.
"Quit?"
"Yeah..."
"Because... well..." The Kazekage stammered.
"Well what?" The fox encouraged.
"Because... of my feelings for you, Naruto." Before the blonde could reply, the red-head turned quickly and attacked the boys lips with  his own. Crimson rose in Naruto's cheeks as the raccoon pulled away.
"A... a valid reason... I guess.." The boy stuttered. Gaara chuckled and smiled warmly at the boy, 'I wish I didn't have to lie to you.. but it's for your own good.. Naruto.' he thought, sighing. 'At least I could get one burdon off my chest.. at least I'm aloud to love you now.'