The Hunt

P O V Ruby:-

My stomach growled noisily, as Kade and I sat taking a break. We had been walking for hours and still hadn't found anything to eat, even though we were now in much denser forest.

We had managed to get away from the desolate path that the tornado had taken, and the lush green trees, soft mosses, vines and shrubs were now becoming more ample, which was a big relief for us. The rain had also stopped, the sun trying to break it's way through the fluffy grey clouds, shone down, even though it was very weak, it was still a warming sight, the gentle heat keeping the chill from our bodies.

I looked at kade, who was resting with his back against a tree, his face was leaning upwards towards the sky seemingly enjoying the suns rays, and his eyes were closed. A small smile donned his lips, causing the small hairs on the back of my neck to rise as a pleasurable tingle shot down my spine.

I sighed inwardly, not wanting to disturb him, then feasted on his chisled face, his cheekbones were raised upwards, two small dimples sat underneath, giving him a boyish look.

His perfectly shaped nose was the right size, not too large, and not too small, and his lips............ I had to hold in a groan when I reached his beautiful, pink lips that curved ever so slightly upwards into the gentle smile that I had grown so much to love.

His hair was messy, most of the blonde hidden by streaks of mud, and a light stubble of blond hair flashed across his chin, making him so ruggedly handsome, that I had to hold myself back.

It wouldn't do either of us any good to use up our last bit of energy when we were so hungry, and I knew we would soon need water as well, the small amount we had earlier would not last us throughout the day.

I walked over to Kade, then sat down beside him, his soft blue eyes flickered open, his smile widening when he saw me.

“Hi beautiful,” he whispered horsely, taking my hand in his. I loved it when he did this, he made me feel so special and wanted.

“Hi,” I smiled back at him, giving his hand a gentle squeeze.

He had started to heal well, the swelling in his hand had almost gone, his bruises were fading to a purple yellow, and the graze across his shoulder had scabbed and was almost gone. I was still a little concerned about his leg though, as he still limped awkwardly on it, and occasionally I would see him holding the side of his chest as if he were in pain.

I wasn't sure if Hugo and the others had done more than just bruise his ribs, as Kade never let on how much pain he really was in. I knew there wouldn't be any point in asking him as he would deny it. I guess he just didn't want to worry me.

I sighed then raised his hand to my lips and kissed it gently.

“I suppose I should check your bandage, and then we should get on, as it won't do us any good just sitting here waiting for food to just land on our laps.” I smiled warmly, a soft laugh escaping my lips.

“It would be nice though wouldn't it ?” Kade sighed, resting his head back against the tree. “You know, if something to eat would just fall in your lap. What would you pick Ruby?.........If you could have anything to eat in the whole wide world right this minute what would you have?”

I thought for a few seconds. “Ice cream, I would have strawberry Ice cream.”

Kade opened his eyes and looked at me in awe. “You could have anything in the world and you would pick Ice cream?” he laughed, rolling his eyes at me.