Prologue

Elena stirred.

Her dream was slowly coming to an end, the very fabric of its disorientated reality fraying at the edges as her eyes flickered open. A moan snuck out of her mouth as she woke, her throat dry and sore. She opened her mouth just enough to run her tongue over her bottom lip in an attempt to resuscitate it.

Unable to feel the rest of her body at the moment, she lay very still and waited for the nerves in her arms and legs to tingle their way back to life. The first part of her body to regain sensation was her fingers, which she wriggled by her sides and then clenched into a fist. Then the feelings in her legs came back; they ached beyond anything Elena had felt before and she was certain that she would collapse if she tried to walk on them.

Gathering what little strength she had accumulated, Elena heaved herself up into a sitting position, placing her hands on the sides of the coffin she was sat in as she did so. The last dress she remembered wearing was the bridesmaids dress she wore to Ric and Jo's wedding, but she was surprised to find that she was wearing a knee length blue dress instead.

Her mind raced.
Where was she? Where was everyone else?

Elena felt a trickle of warm summer air tickle the back of her neck and she instinctively flicked her head around to see where it was coming from. The sunlight was beating in through the open door and trying hard to push its way around the tall figure that was leaning against the doorway. Elena's worries faded away, the way they always did when she was around him.

There was no doubting who it was that was waiting for her, his figure was unmistakable.

Damon.