i

"What you got there, Tommy?" Isaac questioned as he approached Thomas' side.

It was late in the WICKED building and Isaac Newton and Thomas Edison were assigned to stay behind to go over everything for the week.

"... Oh, Isaac! You scared me."

"I was working opposite you—What's that?" he asked as he pointed at the thing in Thomas' hand.

"... Just a ribbon. Nothing important."

Isaac admired what Thomas had. The ribbon in his hand somehow... interested him. The colour was an ordinary yellow, like a sign of happiness.

It caused the blonde to smile.

"Well then," he said as he sat down next to Thomas. "Let's make a pact."

"What kind of pact?"

"A pact that me and you keep these ribbons wrapped around our wrists... that way, we'll always be connected."  Isaac explained while he wrapped the ribbon around his and Thomas' wrist.

"Are you sure about this? I mean... We barely know each other." Thomas stuttered, which made Isaac sigh.

"I'm sure. Now promise me, that you'll never ever take this off. This is the key to our friendship... Okay?"

"Okay, Isaac."

Isaac kept that promise. He still thinks of that day, even thought he's miles away from the boy he loves.

That day was the last day Thomas and Isaac spent together. The next day, Isaac was teared away from WICKED and sent up in this box into this imaginary world.

"HEY NEWT, COME ON! THE BOX'S COMIN' UP!" one of the boys yell at them before everyone rushes over to him.

Isaac knew what was happening. A new Greenie was coming. He went through the same thing, coming up in the Box, losing your memories... It's a natural thing.

But honestly he didn't care. All he remembered was the ribbon tied around his wrist and his name, Newt. Slowly, his memories of Thomas came back to him but they were vague.

"NEWT! Come on!" he hears Chuck, yelling his name.

He drags himself along the Glade, not caring what shank was now in the Box. All he could think about was Thomas and that promise that they both have kept.

He ended coming to the edge of the Box moments later as everyone made space for him to come and see who was here.

But he was surprised to see who it was.

•••••

i wanted to clarify that this was inspired by someone who had published a brad simpson book with a girl with a ribbon. i can't find the writer exactly but their idea inspired me to write this so thank you.

Faiza :)