II

She didn't understand it, concerning she had never been insecure with her weight. When the numbers went down, she got the bit of happiness she had felt she lost. Now in the third week of him bothering her, she was dropping pounds quickly and dangerously and watching her organize her plate into a battle ground was just too much for the Matthews to not interfere.
"Maya, are you going to eat any mashed potatoes?" Asked Riley.
"You can have them."
"No thanks. I have my own. I'm just wondering why you are not eating them?" She shrugged, her eyes not having lifted from the plate being pit into perfect form with the carrot in small cubes and she chicken fingers cut into fours, evenly distributed on the plate. Cory chewed his food with his eyes on her as she diligently organization, lost in a land she'd created in her head where she could go anywhere and be anything.
"Maya. Is something wrong with your dinner?"
"It's excellent, Mrs.Matthews."
"How would you know? You've barely tasted it."
"I'm just not very hungry."
"That's no excuse." That didn't make Maya eat anymore, though.
Paul Nathan liked the changes in Maya, though in the stage of becoming less settle. It kept her weak, which was what he liked, which is why Maya started wearing the black beanie she had found on the bottom of her mothers closet and Katy said she could have when she was twelve years old. It covered her bruise on the side of her forehead. To help her block out sound so she would live in her head even more so, she used her headphones. She also 'overslept' to not go to the Matthews for breakfast. After school, Maya would be sitting on the counter at Topangas, writing, drawing, or doing homework, headphones on. Riley sat next to her on Thursday doing her own work. Maya looked at the clock a lot. She
told her she had to be home by a certain time, but that was not the case. The case was that Maya wanted to stay away as long as she could. She was anxious about going home.
"Hey, girls." Said Cory, walking to them. "How's it going." Maya hadn't looked up.
"Good." Said Riley. She tapped on Maya's headphones. She put them around her neck.
"It was a good song." She said as an excuse."
"Maya. Why haven't you been coming to meals?"
"I've been eating at home."
"I doubt that."
"Huh?"
"You just look really different." She shrugged and lut her headphones back on. After another moment if seeing her actually doing homework while Maya seemingly disappeared from her body, he turned and left.

An hour after leaving the room, Maya still remained on the ground of her room in pain. Her phone was ringing, a picture of Riley smiling popping up on her phone for the third time. Knowing she was supposed to sleep over, she pushed herself up with her dying strength. Her body was now eleven pounds smaller and was decorated with scars and bruises. She took a freezing shower before changing into a sweater, jeans, her hat, and grabbing her bag.
"You think your going somewhere?" Maya stopped dead in her tracks.
"I-I thought you left."
"Not today." He swung her arm across her head, throwing her to the ground. There was a knock. In a matter of seconds, he pulled her from the ground so quickly that she barely found her feet.
"Maya?" Riley looked at the scene confused. The man was holding Maya's arm tight and Maya's eyes were wet.
"I was supposed to come to yours."
"I figured I would pick you up." Said Cory. Paul squeezed Maya's arm ridiculously tight for a moment before letting go. Maya scrambled to get her bag off the floor and hurried out. Cory closed the door behind her and stared at her, waiting for her to crack. To break down crying. But Maya only developed a horrible habit as she dug her fingernail into her hand, knowing in the future, she would use something sharper.
"What exactly happened before we entered?"
"I tripped and her caught my arm." Cory though for a moment.
"Who was that."
"No one."
"I'm pretty sure it was someone." Maya shrugged. Giving up, they left.