Chapter 1

Emily's P.O.V

My brain had been in a battle with my conscience for a while now, but in the end, my conscience always won. I sighed and opened my eyes. I never wanted to wake up anymore. This place to me was hell on earth, but at least I'm not outside in the cold. I yawned quietly, and stood up and stretched. My back popped comfortingly, and I ran a hand thru my dirty blonde hair. A cold breeze swept thru my room, and the hairs on my legs stood up. "Good morning, Emily..." Peyton had just woken up, and she yawned. Peyton was my only friend here, and I really enjoyed her company. We shared a room.
"More like 'I don't ever wanna wake up' morning." I mumbled, and I walked into the bathroom and grabbed the hair brush. Peyton scoffed, and I began to brush my hair. My blue eyes met the mirror, and I frowned. I turned away from the mirror, and walked back into the room, still brushing my hair. Peyton was standing, and she had her glasses on. I handed her the hair brush, and she nodded a thanks. A knock on our door made us turn our heads. One of the ladies that worked here had dropped off our only pair of clothes, that they washed of course. I rolled my eyes as the lady waited for us to change and give her the nightgowns. I grabbed my clothing, and went back into the bathroom and changed. I walked back out and Peyton walked in. I handed my nightgown to the lady, and shortly after, Peyton then gave her nightgown to the lady. I had on a pair of jeans and a light blue tank top on. Peyton had on a pair of cut jeans, and a green shirt. The wooden floor seemed to grow colder under our bare feet, so we walked out after the lady and towards the cafeteria. We opened the cafeteria doors, and nobody seemed to care as we walked in. We walked into line and grabbed our food. We walked over to an empty table, and began to eat in silence. We saw another lady walking around the cafeteria, and she was counting the children. 'Everyone is up, right?' I looked over to Peyton. She had a confused look on her face as well. "Has anyone seen Lillian Rains?" The lady yelled and nobody moved. We knew what happened to her. Last night she had told us all she was going to run away, and nobody believed her. I glanced around and saw the shocked look on everyone's faces. All I did was smile to myself, and wish her luck mentally. Everyone was still silent. The ladies began to panic, and run around the rooms frantically. I stifled a laugh, and continued eating. Peyton continued to eat as well, and soon everyone else did. I stood up and placed my empty plate back on the counter where the workers would come and retrieve it later. We went to the main room, and sat down on the wooden floor. We always did this, and the workers said that someday when we got adopted, these games would boost our 'social interactions'. I didn't mind these games, because some times they were fun. Other times the worker leading the games would ramble off on how to play them. "Alright, children. Today we are going to do something different. Your regular teacher had become ill, so today we are just going to draw." Everyone cheered, but I just grinned at the thought of Lillian. She was the best drawer. The lady handed out papers and pencils, along with some crayons. We began drawing, and some of the children began to talk to eachother. "Wow, didn't know that the 'social interactions' thing would actually work." Peyton said, and she was smililing. I grinned, and chuckled. We began to talk a litter more, but something hit me in the back of the head. I rolled my eyes. Again, something hit me. I ignored it, but it was getting annoying. I stopped drawing, and the things stopped. I began to draw again. I heard footsteps coming towards me, but before I could turn around, someone smacked me. I stood up and turned around. I raised my hand, and back handed the person who was standing behind me. The person was a girl, and she was now holding her now growing red cheek. The girl began crying, and she ran off to tell a teacher. I scoffed. 'Snitches get stitches and get thrown in ditches!' I thought, and chuckled.  I sat back down beside Peyton, and she looked at me. I shrugged, and we continued to draw. A voice came over the intercom, and me and Peyton looked up at the intercom. "Peyton Williams! Please report to the headmasters office immediately!" We both knew that I was in trouble, but why was Peyton called? Both of us thought this as Peyton stood up, and walked out of the main room and towards  the headmasters office.