"Chapter" Twelve

They walked from the Tavern. Ánlic lead Rýnelic by the hand to her meager home. She sat him at her table and prepared some food for him. She gave him wine. She sat next to him and watched as he cautiously ate. When he finished he sat back and thanked her for the meal and gathered his things to leave. When he rose from stooping for his satchel, he realized that she was standing next to him. With him. She raised herself to his lips. Rýnelic was surprised but did not resist. Reciprocated. She pulled him closer. His back curved forward. She took his hands. Lead him to her bed. Pulled him down. They laid themselves out. Rýnelic’s mind buzzed, humming with the rush of blood. She began sliding her hand up his shirt. Removed it. He reciprocated. Rýnelic felt mechanical. He felt his leather return to skin. Ánlic exhaled when he moved his hand across her stomach. Rýnelic inhaled when she lowered her mouth. When nothing was left between them, Ánlic said: “I’m a virgin.” This had not been true for several years. But on this particular cycle of the moon, she could replicate the stain on the sheets. This fact was unbeknownst to Rýnelic. So Rýnelic was taken aback with the utterance of her words, though he did not know what else he had expected. Ánlic noticed his recoil and assured him.

“I’m not afraid.”

Rýnelic, full of wine, did not resist.

To Rýnelic, love was simply varying levels of guilt and sympathy. In that regard, he loved Ánlic. Very much. They continued their interactions for several months. Thus Rýnelic disappeared from his prior engagements. He no longer required shelter from Byldan or Léas, Ánlic saw to that. Rýnelic appreciated, Byldan and Léas would see him at the Tavern periodically. Cordially. Ánlic always by his side. Byldan always looking displeased. Léas always looking over his plans. Occasionally Rýnelic was called for consultation. Rýnelic always obliged. 

Time passed. Foundations were being laid. Everyone played their part. Léas lead. The workers worked. Rýnelic was restless. Rýnelic hung around.