First Job

"Mom? Dad?" Riker asked walking into the living room where his parents were watching television. "Yes Rik?" Stormie asked looking over to where Riker just sat down. "I know you need the van today, but there's this audition today." Riker started to explain but got interupted. "I'm sorry son, but you can't take the van." Mark said. "I wasn't going to ask for the van. I had already signed up to audition for this part. Todays the only day they are taking auditions for it. I was just wondering if you could drop me off at the audition?" Riker explained to both his mother and his father. You could hear the hope and the fact that he was nervous in his tone of voice. He knew that the part he was auditioning for was going to be a small part in the show, but he still wanted the part. Riker sat in silence as he waited for their response. "Okay. What time is the audition and where is it at?" Stormie asked, noticing that he really wanted this. "An hour and a half. Here's the directions." Riker handed the slip of paper with the directions on it to his mother. "Thank you so much! I'm going to go get ready!" Riker hugged his parents and ran upstairs. He walked into the bathroom and turned on the shower. While he waited for the shower water to get hot, he walked into his bedroom and layed out an outfit across his bed. He then brushed his teeth and got in the shower. "Rydel? Come here please." Mark called out. Rydel was currently standing in the kitchen pouring a drink when she heard her father call out for her. She set the bottle of orange juice and the glass on the counter before walking into the living room where her parents sat waiting for her. "Yes dad?" Rydel asked. "You know your mom and I are going to the store. But we need to take Riker to an audition. We are leaving when Riker is finished getting ready.  Would you kindly keep an eye on your younger brothers till we get back?" Mark explained what was going on. "Okay, sure. Can Ellington come over and hang out though?" Rydel agreed to keep an eye on her brothers, but kept her plans in mind. "That's fine with us." Stormie knew Rydel was supposed to hang out with Ratliff today. "Just don't trash the house." Mark continued. "Thank you! And we won't!" Rydel thanked her parents and went back to what she was doing. Riker got out the shower and went to his room to get dressed. "Mom, dad? Are you ready?" Riker said throwing on his black converse to go with his black jeans and navy blue t-shirt. "Yeah we are ready to go, if you are?" Mark and Stormie said in unison. "Im ready." Riker claimed running down the stairs. Mark, Stormie and Riker left their house within three minutes after that. They arrived at the place where the auditions were being held about fifteen minutes later. "Call us when your done." Stormie said as Riker jumped out the van. "Will do. Bye!" Riker said. "Bye! Good luck! Love you!" Stormie said. "Love you too!" Riker yelled back. Mark and Stormie drove off once Riker got inside. "Hello. Can I help you with anything?" The girl sitting behind the table asked. "Hey. Umm.. yes. Im here for the auditions for Glee." Riker said. "Yes that's here. Just sign your name in here and what part you're applying for." The girl said sliding the sign in sheet and a pen across the table til it was right in front of Riker. Riker slung his back pack around his shoulder and leaned over the sign in sheet. He signed his name, and wrote what part he was auditioning for. He decided to apply for the small part, start out small. "Alright. Riker it is?" The girl asked when Riker stood up. Riker nodded. "You can just take a seat right over there. They will call you in when they are ready for you." The girl pointed to a couple chairs off to the left.  Riker walked over to where the girl had pointed and took a seat. He took out his phone and started to play cut the rope. A few minutes have passed by when Riker had suddenly heard his name being called out. He went back to the homescreen on his phone as he stood up. "That would be me." Riker said sliding the phone into his back pocket.  Riker walked up to the guy that had called him. "Hi I'm Ryan Murphy. I am in charge of the casting." Ryan said, taking hold of Riker's hand and shook it. Riker shook Ryan's hand. "Nice to meet you Mr. Murphy." Riker said. "Please, call me Ryan. You too. So tell me what part you will be auditioning for today." Ryan continued, leading Riker into a room. "Okay, Ryan. I decided to audition for a smaller role. So I would like to audition for the part of Jeff the Warbler." Riker explained. "Okay. What made you decide to audition for a smaller role rather than a bigger role?" Ryan asked as he took a seat behind a table. "Well for one, I chose smaller because this would be my first time auditioning to be in a t.v. show or film of any sort. And for another reason is because many who have made it big started off with small roles or as extras." Riker sighed as he tried his best to word his answer. "Here's the script of which you will be reading off of for the audition. Please read here.." Ryan paused as he highlighted a couple lines. "I will read this part, and you will read the next three lines when I have finished reading." Ryan continued highlighting the other lines Riker would be reading. Riker nodded as he took the script and went and stood in the center of the room. Ryan nodded signaling for Riker to read off the line highlighted. As Riker read and did what the actions were in the parentheses, Ryan watched carefully. When Riker finished reading up to the part where he was supposed to stop, Ryan looked down at the script and read what he was supposed to read also doing the actions. Once Ryan finished his part, Riker read the rest of what he was supposed to read doing the actions he was supposed to do. "Well done! Are you sure you haven't acted before?" Ryan Murphy exclaimed. He was clearly impressed by what he had just seen. "One hundred percent positive. In fact my family just moved to California." Riker replied. "Really? From where?" Ryan asked, wanting to know more about Riker. Especially since he was seriously considering giving the part to Riker. "Littleton, Colorado." Riker answered. "Cool. That's some way away. Why did your family move to California?" Ryan asked. "My dream was to act. My brothers, sister and parents all supported me and my dream. However, the move might have been a little tougher on my sister. But she wanted me to be happy." Riker explained bluntly. "That's really nice of them. There is just one more part for your audition." Ryan said. "Yes it was. I have a pretty good bond with my family. And yeah okay, what is it that you need me to do?" Riker asked, a little bit nervous. "I would need you to sing a verse of any song you are comfortable with singing." Ryan asked simply. "Yeah, okay! Can I sing part of the song Love Drunk by Boys Like Girls?" Riker asked waiting nervosly. He hasn't really sung for anyone other than his family before. Riker chose love drunk because it was one of his favorite songs.  "That would be perfect!" Ryan agreed. "Start when you are ready." Ryan continued. Riker took a step back and took a deep breathe. Riker quickly remembered the lyrics to the beginning  of the song.  Breathing more air in, Riker began to sing. 

"Top down in the Summer sun

The day we met was like a Hit and run

And I still taste it on my tongue (Taste it on my tongue)

The sky was burning up like Fireworks

You made me want you Oh so bad it hurt

But girl, in case you haven't heard

I used to be Love drunk

 but now I'm hungover

I'll love you forever

Forever is over

We used to kiss all night

Now its just a bar fight 

So don't call me crying

Say Hello then Goodbye"

Riker finished singing the part he said he was gonna sing. "Wow! Just wow!" Ryan said shocked at how good Riker was. "Was it good?" Riker asked  unsure what Ryan meant by the wows. "Very good! Have you ever performed before?" "Not for anyone other than my family." Riker answered the question. "We usually don't do this, but today we are." Ryan began. Riker looked back and forth from Ryan to the young woman who sat quietly in the corner and back at Ryan. Riker was slightly confused as he watched them communicate with thier hands. Riker seemed to be amused by the way that they knew what they were saying to each other without any confusion going on between the woman and Ryan. Ryan turned back aroind and stood up from his chair. He adjusted his shirt as he walked over to where Riker was standing. "Congratulations, Riker Lynch. You got the part!" Ryan finished. "Thank you! Thank you so much!" Riker exclaimed, trying his best to keep playing it cool. "Just leave your cell number on this sticky notepad, so we can contact you when we need you to come in for filming. And you're very welcome." Ryan smiled as he handed a sticky notepad and pen to Riker. Riker wrote his cell phone number with his name next to it on the notepad. He handed the notepad back to Ryan and said, "God Bless you!" Riker then walked out and called his parents to let them know his audition is over.